Advice on buying PC

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a PC but don't want to spend that much as all I'll be using it for is managing my MP3 collection, photos from a digital camera and basic internet access.

Pretty much what I want is something along the lines of this:
http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=10224
i.e. basic PC, but with decent Hard Disk (looking to spend around £400)

Any advice on where I should go for this - have been reading bad stuff about Tiny on this forum, so would probably rather not go there. Dell? Mesh?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Oh NO ... please don't buy a Tiny ... however it won't be easy to find a half decent system for £400.00 inc VAT, there will be compromises to make.

Tiny have "cut corners" to give what looks like a good price, as long as you are aware of the corners and can live with them, fine.

Have a read of this Article it may help with your final desision.

Most of us here would build our own, is this something you may be interested in doing? If not, and you would prefer to "buy", then run anything you find by us and we'll keep you on the right track.

Reaction score
peck,

mp3 and net access, just get a basic machine and then add a second huge hard drive.

but yeah don't buy tiny.

you should get a resonable system for what you want if for for circa £400 then like i said just add a second drive to hold your tunes.

J

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can third the "don't buy tiny"!!! I have heard so much horror about them, plus I had bad dealings with them myself years ago (albeit a different company effectively).

Do you have anything against building one yourself? You can still buy a better machine for £400 from somewhere else if you still would rather not.

Reaction score
What you can do is go to aria.co.uk and tell them what you want and they will build it for you - customised to your needs. They have a fair selection of pre-buit ones too...

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice - will definitely be avoiding Tiny!

Aria looks good - a little too complex for my standard perhaps.

The idea of getting a basic model and buying extra memory sounds good.

Reaction score
With aria you can probably just say to them that you need a basic machine with a mega hard drive and give them your budget. The should then get back to you with a result.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
All i can say is, Go Dell!

I got a great comp from them around 3 months ago for £450, so im sure thats gone down in price. There always doing money off, free delivery, all kinds of warranties and they have great customer care (so i've heard).

Ask a Question