Advanced Message Server

Rich

Hi,

Has anyone got any idea what this file is for and whether I still need it
(ams491.dat), I've got an item in my

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"Advanced Message Server"="rundll32.exe ams491.dat,Execute", but no idea
what installed it. Is it spyware?

Did a search on google and have seen it with ams490.dat. Is it what it says
on the tin (Advanced Message Server) or is it something else.

Thanks

Rich

Kenxl Zou

Hello Rich,

Thank you for posting in the Windows XP VAP newsgroup!

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You have found "Advanced
Message Server"="rundll32.exe ams491.dat,Execute" in registry. If I'm off
base, please feel free to let me know.

I suggest you download and install the Microsoft antispyware BETA from:
and let it fix anything it finds (when it finds things, please quarantine
them rather than delete just in case as it is a beta and occasional False
positives happen)

Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need anything else.

Kenxl Zou, MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Rich" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Advanced Message Server
| Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:24:44 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi,
|
| Has anyone got any idea what this file is for and whether I still need it
| (ams491.dat), I've got an item in my
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
|
| "Advanced Message Server"="rundll32.exe ams491.dat,Execute", but no idea
| what installed it. Is it spyware?
|
| Did a search on google and have seen it with ams490.dat. Is it what it
says
| on the tin (Advanced Message Server) or is it something else.
|
| Thanks
|
| Rich

Rich

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes that was the issue.

I've already downloaded the antispyware and it found nothing - thanks
anyway.

I've backed up my registry key and removed the item. Hasn't caused any
issues so far.
Just was curious as to what had installed it.

Thanks

Rich

Kenxl Zou

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your reply and the detailed additional feedback on how you
were successful in resolving this issue. This information has been added to
Microsoft's database. Your solution will benefit many other users, and we
really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a great day!

Kenxl Zou, MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Rich" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Advanced Message Server
| Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:30:51 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi,
|
| Thanks for the reply. Yes that was the issue.
|
| I've already downloaded the antispyware and it found nothing - thanks
| anyway.
|
| I've backed up my registry key and removed the item. Hasn't caused any
| issues so far.
| Just was curious as to what had installed it.
|
| Thanks
|
| Rich
|

| | > Hello Rich,
| >
| > Thank you for posting in the Windows XP VAP newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You have found
| > Message Server"="rundll32.exe ams491.dat,Execute" in registry. If I'm
off
| > base, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > I suggest you download and install the Microsoft antispyware BETA from:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
| > and let it fix anything it finds (when it finds things, please
quarantine
| > them rather than delete just in case as it is a beta and occasional
False
| > positives happen)
| >
| > Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need anything
else.

| > Kenxl Zou, MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Rich" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Advanced Message Server
| > | Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:24:44 +0100
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Has anyone got any idea what this file is for and whether I still
need
| > it
| > | (ams491.dat), I've got an item in my
| > |
| > | [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
| > |
| > | "Advanced Message Server"="rundll32.exe ams491.dat,Execute", but no
idea
| > | what installed it. Is it spyware?
| > |
| > | Did a search on google and have seen it with ams490.dat. Is it what it
| > says
| > | on the tin (Advanced Message Server) or is it something else.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Rich