Advanced Files Sharing and Workgroups for XP/W98

Mark

I'm currently using Simple File Sharing in a mixed XP
Pro/W98SE environment with a router/switch providing a
single shared internet connection. Essentially a home
network with no file server capabilities - basic
folder/printers sharing.

I want to use shared folders but with:
1) one public folder with full access to everyone
2) one private folder with full access to selected users

All shared folders will be stored on one XP Pro machine.

How do I set this up on XP Pro and W98Se given that one
W98SE user requires access to the public shared folder
only and the other W98SE user will required full access
to both the public and the private folder.

Also what are the gotchas with moving from Simple File
Sharing (with printer and folder shares in existence) to
a username-base system as I'm sure there are some tricks
which are undocumented.

I presume I would need to move from a workgroup to a
domain environment but I'm not sure. Appreciate any and
all help/tips.

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Mark,

The Simple File Sharing feature of Windows XP lets you easily share folders
with everyone on your workgroup or network and make folders in your user
profile private. However, if simple file sharing is enabled you cannot
allow access to shared folders for some specific users/groups while
preventing other specific users/groups from gaining access. This is because
Simple File Sharing grants access to shared resources via the guest account
rather than by specific user account.

If you want to grant access to a specific folder on a user-specific basis,
you will need to do this using a method other than Simple File Sharing -
disabling Simple file sharing in the process. The details on how to do this
are contained in the second article listed under the MORE INFORMATION
section below. Side Note: <this may not affect you but in case you plan to
upgrade your Win98 machines at a future time, you should keep in mind that
you cannot disable simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

A detailed description of the 5 different levels of access provided via
Simple File Sharing and limitations of Simple File Sharing is contained in
the first KB Article under the MORE INFORMATION section below.

You can use Simple File Sharing to configure five different levels of
access to shares and files:

- Level 1: My Documents (Private)
- Level 2: My Documents (Default)
- Level 3: Files in shared documents available to local users
- Level 4: Shared Files on the Network (Readable by Everyone)
- Level 5: Shared Files on the Network (Readable and Writable by Everyone)

NOTES
- Files stored in My Documents are at Level 2 by default.
- Levels 1, 2, and 3 folders are available only to a user who is logging on
locally.
- Users who log on locally include a user who logs on to a Windows XP
Professional-based computer from a Remote Desktop (RDP) session.
- Levels 4 and 5 folders are available to users who log on locally and
remote users from the network.

MORE INFORMATION:

304040 Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304040

307874 How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared
folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874

307040 No User-Level Access Control Is Available for My Network Places or
for
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307040

308418 HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308418

308419 HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files
and
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308419

301281 HOW TO: Share Files and Folders Over a Network for Workgroups in
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301281

308007 Troubleshooting Home Networking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308007

307286 You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307286

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Advanced Files Sharing and Workgroups for XP/W98
| Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:40:12 -0800
|
| I'm currently using Simple File Sharing in a mixed XP
| Pro/W98SE environment with a router/switch providing a
| single shared internet connection. Essentially a home
| network with no file server capabilities - basic
| folder/printers sharing.
|
| I want to use shared folders but with:
| 1) one public folder with full access to everyone
| 2) one private folder with full access to selected users
|
| All shared folders will be stored on one XP Pro machine.
|
| How do I set this up on XP Pro and W98Se given that one
| W98SE user requires access to the public shared folder
| only and the other W98SE user will required full access
| to both the public and the private folder.
|
| Also what are the gotchas with moving from Simple File
| Sharing (with printer and folder shares in existence) to
| a username-base system as I'm sure there are some tricks
| which are undocumented.
|
| I presume I would need to move from a workgroup to a
| domain environment but I'm not sure. Appreciate any and
| all help/tips.

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

The Simple File Sharing feature of Windows XP lets you easily share folders
with everyone on your workgroup or network
A detailed description of the 5 different levels of access provided via
Simple File Sharing and limitations of Simple File Sharing is contained in
the first KB Article under the MORE INFORMATION section below.
You can use Simple File Sharing to configure five different levels of
access to shares and files:
- Level 1: My Documents (Private)
- Level 2: My Documents (Default)
- Level 3: Files in shared documents available to local users
- Level 4: Shared Files on the Network (Readable by Everyone)
- Level 5: Shared Files on the Network (Readable and Writable by Everyone)

Quick question: In Win9x, one could set two passwords on a share; one
for read rights and the other for read-write rights.

Can one still do this in XP Home and FATxx volumes? Not looking to
control access from the "driver's seat" (as FATxx won't offer that),
just to limit access from others on the LAN.

Our senses are our UI to reality