***********ADMT***********

I have 2 Windows 2000 domains: domain1 and domain2.
If I want to migrate a DC in domain1 to become a DC in domain2, can I use
ADMT to do this job, or I have to dcpromo it to a member server, join it to
domain2 and then dcpromo it to DC? Thanks.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

The second part of your answer is correct. You cannot use ADMT in this
scenario. That is, you will have to first demote the DC to a member server
and promote it again. Please follow the steps below:

1. Check whether the DC is hosting any FSMO roles for the domain.
2. If there are any FSMO roles held, please transfer it to other DCs in the
domain.
3. Demote the DC to a member server.
4. Disconnect from the domain.
5. Connect it to Domain2 and change the network settings of the system with
the appropriate settings of that network like IP Address, DNS Server
address etc.
6. Add the member server to the domain
7. Promote it back to DC for Domain2.

I hope it helps.