Administartor Tools

I have the Administrator Tools for Windows 2000 Server instaled on my windows
200 Pro workstaion. Everything was working fine up untill recenly. When I
go into Active Directory Users & Computers to edit my default domain policy
under group policy I get all kinds of errro messages. Constant boxes keep
poping up stating:

Administrative Template
The following entry in the [string] section is too long and has been
truncated.

What follows after is diferent for each message. I click OK and there must
be at leas 50-200 of these messages.

The only upgared recently is I upgraded our Exchane 2003 server to SP2 on a
windows 2003 server.

Our domain is strictly 2000 running in mixed mode. All dc's are windows
2000 SP4. We have a few windows 2003 member servers including our exchange
2003 server.

What is this error. Teh only way I can view this is through the exchange
admin tools on ou exchange server. Please help.

Clayton Sutton

I had the same thing, hope this helps.

Group Policy Fix.

"The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
truncated"

You get this error message when you try to modify or to view GPOs in Windows
Server 2003, Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000.

See KB Article 842933

NOTE: Make sure you use the right fix for your OS.

Clayton

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842933

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

I agree with Clayton that this problem occurs because older versions of the
Group Policy editor cannot interpret some string types that include more
than 255 characters. These string types are included in parts of .adm files
that are meant to be excluded by the "IF VERSION" construct. The hotfix
KB842933 can help. You can download it from :

842933 "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has
been truncated" error message when you try to modify or to view GPOs in
Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;842933

Hope this helps. If you still have concerns, please feel free to let me
know. I'm glad to provide assistance.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

From: "Clayton Sutton" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
Subject: Re: Administartor Tools