admin account deleted + cant run CMD as administrator

xz

Someone I know deleted the primary admin account. So now he has only
a regular user account, and the Administrator account. However
Administrator account is disabled in Vista by default. We need to
enable it somehow on his PC - since he deleted that first account he
set up when he installed Vista (that was supposed to be his
administrative account!).

I've heard people suggesting to browse to CMD.exe. Then rt-click and
say run as administrator. Then enter
Net user administrator activate:yes

Problem is - when we went to his PC and selected run as administrator,
a popup says "type in the administrator password and hit OK". But the
field where he would enter in that password seems to be empty and when
he types - no letters appear there. Plus, the OK button is completely
disabled. So when he types his Administrator password (which he
swears he did set) - the OK button does not become enabled - hence we
can't run CMD as Administrator :) I'm trying to help him with this.
Is he screwed or is there a reason Vista doesn't enable that button.

Cheers!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Boot to Safe Mode, logon with "adminstrator account. You can enable it or
better yet create another adminstrator account.
If there is only the one "administrator" account in the administrators
group, even though it's disabled, it will allow you to log on in Safe Mode.
If another user account is an administrator as well then the "adminstrator"
account remains disabled in Safe Mode.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: xz <[email protected]>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|> Subject: admin account deleted + cant run CMD as administrator
|> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:40:01 -0000
|>
|> Someone I know deleted the primary admin account. So now he has only
|> a regular user account, and the Administrator account. However
|> Administrator account is disabled in Vista by default. We need to
|> enable it somehow on his PC - since he deleted that first account he
|> set up when he installed Vista (that was supposed to be his
|> administrative account!).
|>
|> I've heard people suggesting to browse to CMD.exe. Then rt-click and
|> say run as administrator. Then enter
|> Net user administrator activate:yes
|>
|> Problem is - when we went to his PC and selected run as administrator,
|> a popup says "type in the administrator password and hit OK". But the
|> field where he would enter in that password seems to be empty and when
|> he types - no letters appear there. Plus, the OK button is completely
|> disabled. So when he types his Administrator password (which he
|> swears he did set) - the OK button does not become enabled - hence we
|> can't run CMD as Administrator :) I'm trying to help him with this.
|> Is he screwed or is there a reason Vista doesn't enable that button.
|>
|> Cheers!

xz

Hey that did it, holding down F8 --> safe mode, let us log in as
administrator and then create another account to be in the
administrator group.
Thanks

zx