Adm Files Re-Replaced

When I first started opening the Group Policy Editor to edit AD based GPOs
from a Win XP SP2 machine, it would replace the adm files in the Sysvol
share. That would cause a problem when later opening the said GPOs on the
W2K server where lots of error messages would pop up. MS eventually came out
with a fix for that problem, which I applied at some point.

Now I seem to have almost the opposite problem:
When I open the GPOs from ANY machine, XP SP2, etc, I see what appears to be
the original Windows 2000 Administrative Templates. In other words the adm
files in Sysvol seem to have been replaced by the ones from the Inf folder on
the DCs, and opening the GPOs in Win XP SP2 isn't replacing them as it did
before.
Does anyone know what would cause this?
Am I going to need to manually replace the adm files in all the policy
folders in Sysvol as well as on the DCs?

Thanks.

Darren Mar-Elia \(MVP\)

Charlie-
The only reason that adm files from an older OS would replace the SP2 ones
are because the ADM files on those DCs where you're editing policy have a
newer date/timestamp than the ones in SYSVOL. Is it possible that someone
edited those Win2K ADMs on those DCs? That would do it.

Darren

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

Based on my experience, editing GPOs should not replace the ADM files in
the Sysvol folder. I suggest you check the version of the Adm files with an
another new DC. If they are replaced I suggest you copy/overwrite those ADM
files and import them manually.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Adm Files Re-Replaced
| Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:25:28 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| When I first started opening the Group Policy Editor to edit AD based
GPOs
| from a Win XP SP2 machine, it would replace the adm files in the Sysvol
| share. That would cause a problem when later opening the said GPOs on
the
| W2K server where lots of error messages would pop up. MS eventually came
out
| with a fix for that problem, which I applied at some point.
|
| Now I seem to have almost the opposite problem:
| When I open the GPOs from ANY machine, XP SP2, etc, I see what appears to
be
| the original Windows 2000 Administrative Templates. In other words the
adm
| files in Sysvol seem to have been replaced by the ones from the Inf
folder on
| the DCs, and opening the GPOs in Win XP SP2 isn't replacing them as it
did
| before.
| Does anyone know what would cause this?
| Am I going to need to manually replace the adm files in all the policy
| folders in Sysvol as well as on the DCs?
|
| Thanks.

Yes, the policies may have been edited from a DC, but I if I replace the ADM
files in the inf folder on the DCs, would that mean that someone could edit
the policies from the DCs and not have this problem? I thought I had done
that, but possibly not.
Thanks.