Adding memory

Graham Grant

I have a DFI AD76 motherboard with 256 megs of ram and run Win98. I bought a
512 megs stick and when fitted by itself ran without problems. I then added
the 256 megs stick into the 2nd slot but when switching on, it first
recognised 768 megs but then froze, the buttons were on the screen to enter
the set up and skip memory but neither would work. I could only
Control/Alt/Delete but then the machine would restart and I would end up
with the frozen screen. Has anybody else had the same problem, is there a
problem with my motherboard slot?. Any help from anybody!
Bye for now
Graham Grant
Sydney Australia

KC Computers

I have a DFI AD76 motherboard with 256 megs of ram and run Win98. I bought
512 megs stick and when fitted by itself ran without problems. I then added
the 256 megs stick into the 2nd slot but when switching on, it first
recognised 768 megs but then froze, the buttons were on the screen to enter
the set up and skip memory but neither would work. I could only
Control/Alt/Delete but then the machine would restart and I would end up
with the frozen screen. Has anybody else had the same problem, is there a
problem with my motherboard slot?. Any help from anybody!

What speed are the modules? Did you try reversing the modules?
Did you try going into the BIOS and try running the RAM at a slower
speed?

Sooky Grumper

KC said:
What speed are the modules? Did you try reversing the modules?

As in their order in the slots (which card is inserted in slot 1, slot
2,...), not their physical orientation by 180 degrees, as that will
break something...

Graham Grant

Kevin
The modules are DDR333 2700, I did have the modules in the reverse
postion when first installed but the problem was the same. Can you tell me
how to slow the speed down in the BIOS. It's not something that I have done
before.
Thanks
Graham Grant

KC Computers

The modules are DDR333 2700, I did have the modules in the reverse
postion when first installed but the problem was the same. Can you tell me
how to slow the speed down in the BIOS. It's not something that I have done
before.

There should be a setting in the BIOS somewhere to slow down the
speed. It may say something like RAM timing or frequency.
The motherboard manual should have more information.

How far does the system get before locking up? Does Windows
boot? Windows '98 has problems when trying to use more
than 512MB of RAM.

Shep©

I have a DFI AD76 motherboard with 256 megs of ram and run Win98. I bought a
512 megs stick and when fitted by itself ran without problems. I then added
the 256 megs stick into the 2nd slot but when switching on, it first
recognised 768 megs but then froze, the buttons were on the screen to enter
the set up and skip memory but neither would work. I could only
Control/Alt/Delete but then the machine would restart and I would end up
with the frozen screen. Has anybody else had the same problem, is there a
problem with my motherboard slot?. Any help from anybody!
Bye for now
Graham Grant
Sydney Australia

G'day :)

There is a small bug in win9X/ME(just then one I hear you say said:
512 meg.As you will never need this amount for the DV you can use the
free,"Cacheman",
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/easy.html
and go through it's Wizard and set a fixed useful one e.g it's
defaults will do.This should clear the software side of things.
HTH :)
PS
Can be done from safemode if required.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Graham Grant

Shep
Thanks for your reply on the Win98 bug, the reason I bought the extra
memory was to upgrade to WinXP, which I will do just after Xmas. As my
machine is running fine with the single module I will leave it as is until
after the upgrade but again I do thank you for taking the time to help me.
Cheers
Graham Grant

Thanks for your reply on the Win98 bug, the reason I bought the extra
memory was to upgrade to WinXP, which I will do just after Xmas. As my
machine is running fine with the single module I will leave it as is until
after the upgrade but again I do thank you for taking the time to help me.
Cheers
Graham Grant

No probs :)

--