AD restore

IT Junkie

I suffered a failure of the only DC in my domain and was forced to
rebulid the server.I've managed to restore from system state backup.
On reboot, I've experienced a few different errors, depending on the
method of restore.

The first error was a 0x0000007b stop error which i eliminated by re-
installing the scsi drivers throught windows setup and repair.

The second is a 0xc0000227 stop error after the previous error is
fixed. I am unable to log into DSRM after this as the stop error
recurs. Is there any way I can recover from this?

Thirdly, a 0xc00002e1 error saying the SAM couldn't initialize.

What is the surest way of a complete successful restore? My current
hardware config consists of a Dell poweredge 6450 & an external
Powervault 220s SAN.

All drives have been configured as before the failure.

Thanks

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Howdie!

IT said:
I suffered a failure of the only DC in my domain and was forced to
rebulid the server.I've managed to restore from system state backup.
On reboot, I've experienced a few different errors, depending on the
method of restore.

The first error was a 0x0000007b stop error which i eliminated by re-
installing the scsi drivers throught windows setup and repair.

The second is a 0xc0000227 stop error after the previous error is
fixed. I am unable to log into DSRM after this as the stop error
recurs. Is there any way I can recover from this?

Thirdly, a 0xc00002e1 error saying the SAM couldn't initialize.

Is that the same machine that failed or a different machine? How did you
recover the OS? New installation? I suggest setting up Windows (from
scratch) and then restore the system state/AD.

You'd better build another DC for that domain for just these downtime
purposes.

Cheers,

Florian

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Hello IT,

Did you use the same hardware or different? Please give some more details
about the restore of the server and the additional steps you have done.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

IT Junkie

Howdie!

--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.

I'm using same spec, but different hardware. All my restores are from
scratch. And the restores are all system state. I only need to get
this DC operational for a short while as I was about to virtualize
just before the failure. Murphy's Law.

I've referenced this article (http://support.microsoft.com/?
kbid=263532) as a guide but with a different result. When doing the
repair of the existing installation, once I've selected all the
optional components, it installs all of them, but comes to a grinding
halt when installing COM+. Any reason for this?

BTW. By restoring through DSRM, I also end up at the same scenario.
Can I eliminate the boot error by rre-installing the SCSI driver in
DSRM, or will the restore only take effect post-reboot after the
restore?

IT Junkie

** HELP us help YOU!!!http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

I'm using same spec, but different hardware. All my restores are from
scratch. And the restores are all system state. I only need to get
this DC operational for a short while as I was about to virtualize
just before the failure. Murphy's Law.

I've referenced this article (http://support.microsoft.com/?
kbid=263532) as a guide but with a different result. When doing the
repair of the existing installation, once I've selected all the
optional components, it installs all of them, but comes to a grinding
halt when installing COM+. Any reason for this?

BTW. By restoring through DSRM, I also end up at the same scenario.
Can I eliminate the boot error by rre-installing the SCSI driver in
DSRM, or will the restore only take effect post-reboot after the
restore?

Dhruv raj

well you can do following

restore the system state back up to a member server (make sure you select
the restore to alternate location)
the before restoring you might prefer to create folder where the system
back up will be resoted
and select that path while restoreing
---share that folder where you restored the sys state of your previous dc-
then

install new os (for new dc) (similar hdware config)
aply service packs
install drivers
create a folder names NTDSRestore in the C:\ drive of the new server (that
will your dc
---copy the "Active directory " folder from the share that you created in
the member server
to the NTDSRestore folder in the new server

now here
use DCPROMO /ADV in the new server

select to promote from the backup
give the path NTDSrestore
use the domain admin credentials
and

"after that make sure that dns has _msdcs.yourdomain.com zone and service
locator records refer to new server"
you might need to delete the content of
c:\windows\system32\config\netlogon.dns
then restart the netlogon service and the dns server service

we have a new dc with all the infromation in old dc
however the metadata of the old server is still there in active directory
--you need to remove the metadata of the old server using the NTDSUTIL command
plese follow this technet article

u also need to seize the fsmo roles

and you are done..!

IT Junkie

[...]

Hi

Thanks for the reply. However, when running the DCPROMO /ADV I can
only follow the normal DC promo steps and I'm not prompted to restore
from backup.

Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]

Reading through the thread I notice you are looking to go virtual. How
about bringing up a virtual member server and doing a system state restore
to the virtual guest. I have done this on occasions in the past, I just
haven't done on a DC. There are issues with running virtual dc's, but in
this case if you can get this box up in the virtual world you could then
bring up a second physical dc to get the info back.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

IT Junkie

Reading through the thread I notice you are looking to go virtual.  How
about bringing up a virtual member server and doing a system state restore
to the virtual guest.  I have done this on occasions in the past, I just
haven't done on a DC.  There are issues with running virtual dc's, but in
this case if you can get this box up in the virtual world you could then
bring up a second physical dc to get the info back.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services
MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. To my knowledge, system state restores are
fickle and the new server needs to be as closely matched to the old
server as possible. There is some leeway in terms of differing
hardware, but I gone down all those avenues.

Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]

The big issue is hardware change, I recently took a hardware based cluster
and restored it in a virtual space. It worked flawlessly. I can't
guarantee it will work, but I'm guessing it will.

--
[...]

hardware, but I gone down all those avenues.- Hide quoted text -

Hi

Is there any way I an overcome the stop error after I have done the
restore, without compromising the integrity of the system state
restore? Going the F6 route to reload the SCSI drivers via windows
setup seems to overwrite the files that were restored and then renders
the restore invalid. This seems the biggest obstacle at the moment.

Thanks

Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]

When you do the F6, you should be loading the thrid party drivers.
Microsoft shouldn't be over writing those, but I don't know maybe there is
some quirk you have come across.

--

"IT Junkie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On Feb 9, 3:28 pm, "Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs@nopspam_msn.com>
wrote:
[...]

Thanks- Hide quoted text -
Thanks for the reply. To my knowledge, system state restores are
fickle and the new server needs to be as closely matched to the old
server as possible. There is some leeway in terms of differing
hardware, but I gone down all those avenues.- Hide quoted text -

Hi

Is there any way I an overcome the stop error after I have done the
restore, without compromising the integrity of the system state
restore? Going the F6 route to reload the SCSI drivers via windows
setup seems to overwrite the files that were restored and then renders
the restore invalid. This seems the biggest obstacle at the moment.

Thanks

I am able to get past the stop error, but once windows loads, I get an
error where it appears as if the AD files aren't being read or the
registry reference to them is incorrect.

A subsequent error 0xc0000227 is returned.

My attempts at MS resolution proves to be fruitless.

Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]

Sounds like you have nothing to lose with the virtual restore like I
mentioned previously.