Activation Question

Drew

Hi,

I am a MSDN subscriber so I think I have 10 licenses for
XP but, recently I had to get a new harddrive and
reinstall XP, twice actually, the first time I put it on
the wrong partition. But I activated the first time
thinking I'd get it over with early and not be bothered
with it, so I think I wasted at least 1 activation if not
the second I am using currently. I am wondering if I
call up (some number for activation that I can't seem to
find), will I be able to get both activations back,
because I am using the same computer, just different
harddrive, and because I made a mistake and was forced to
reactivate.

Thanks,
Drew

You should be able to re-install it as many times as you
want. It will activate on-line every 120 days otherwise
you have to use the automated activation.

Call This Number to Activate: Explain your problem,
Be nice ,but forceful. Don't take any crap. Ask for a
supervisor if you have a problem. Ask for their name.
Remember it's their Activation scheme, not your's, you
paid now it's up too them.

Call (800) 426-9400, and explain the situation.

John Ski

Subject: Activation Question
From: "Drew" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 1/30/2004 8:06 AM Eastern Standard Time

Hi,

I am a MSDN subscriber so I think I have 10 licenses for
XP but, recently I had to get a new harddrive and
reinstall XP, twice actually, the first time I put it on
the wrong partition. But I activated the first time
thinking I'd get it over with early and not be bothered
with it, so I think I wasted at least 1 activation if not
the second I am using currently. I am wondering if I
call up (some number for activation that I can't seem to
find), will I be able to get both activations back,
because I am using the same computer, just different
harddrive, and because I made a mistake and was forced to
reactivate.

Thanks,
Drew
You are confusing licenses and activation. A license can be activated many
times, for instance when you need to reinstall XP, when hardware is
significantly changed, etc. Each license(Product Key) can/should only be used
on one PC. If you have used more than one PK on the same PC and activated both,
you have essentially two choices: Wait 120 days to use the 2nd PK again, after
the MS database is purged or use it to install on another machine and when it
doesn't activate automatically, call the 800 number you'll be given and explain
the situation to the MS drone that answers. He/she will give you a number to
enter to activate that copy.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

kurttrail

Drew said:
Hi,

I am a MSDN subscriber so I think I have 10 licenses for
XP but, recently I had to get a new harddrive and
reinstall XP, twice actually, the first time I put it on
the wrong partition. But I activated the first time
thinking I'd get it over with early and not be bothered
with it, so I think I wasted at least 1 activation if not
the second I am using currently. I am wondering if I
call up (some number for activation that I can't seem to
find), will I be able to get both activations back,
because I am using the same computer, just different
harddrive, and because I made a mistake and was forced to
reactivate.

Drew, wait for an MVP or someone that says they have gone throught this
with their MSDN subscription. The rules that apply for normal copies of
XP differ from that of your MSDN subscription.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Drew said:
I am a MSDN subscriber so I think I have 10 licenses for
XP but, recently I had to get a new harddrive and
reinstall XP, twice actually, the first time I put it on
the wrong partition. But I activated the first time
thinking I'd get it over with early and not be bothered
with it, so I think I wasted at least 1 activation if not
the second I am using currently. I am wondering if I
call up (some number for activation that I can't seem to
find), will I be able to get both activations back,
because I am using the same computer, just different
harddrive, and because I made a mistake and was forced to
reactivate.

Hi

From "MSDN Subscriptions General Q&A"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/faq/default.asp

<quote>
() What if I reinstall software frequently, do I need to activate the
software each time?

We understand that MSDN Subscribers have unique needs, so we have included
special activation privileges for MSDN Subscribers.

MSDN Subscription product keys can be used to activate up to 10 PCs.

Although you must go through the activation process each time you reinstall
on the same PC, your total number of activations will not be decremented.

For Windows XP, MSDN Subscribers have 60 days before the product needs to
be activated. If you will be reinstalling the software in less than 60 days,
you do not need to activate it.

() If I reinstall software on the same machine, do I need to activate the
software?

No. Software may be reinstalled on the same machine as many times as needed
without reactivating it. However, if the hard disk is reformatted prior to
reinstallation, reactivation may be required however the total number of
activations will not be decremented.

</quote>

And then you have this one:

From: Andy Boyd [MS] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: 10 Activations per year or for all eternity?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.msdn.general
Date: 2003-04-02 14:03:33 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Oytc4NW#[email protected]

<quote>
The 10 PC limit uses the same rules as retail activations, so switching
machines will definitely count as an additional activation. However, if you
contact your customer service rep, then they should be able to help with
getting additional activations. If you let your subscription expire and get
a new subscription, then you get a new set of 10 keys. If you renew your
existing subscription, you keep your existing keys.

Andy Boyd
Program Manager
MSDN Subscriber Downloads
(remove the .online from the return address for direct e-mail)

Brian Smith said:
We use our MSDN subscriptions to good use on test machines for our products.
However, time marches on and older machines die or are otherwise upgraded.
Thus, we end up with a stream of re-installs that cannot be avoided.

Should I unsubscribe from MSDN and subscribe again under another name, or
can I expect some liberty over time as to the 10 PC limit?

</quote>

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

There's no limit to the number of times you can reinstall and
activate the same WinXP license on the same PC. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Alex Nichol

Drew said:
I am a MSDN subscriber so I think I have 10 licenses for
XP but, recently I had to get a new harddrive and
reinstall XP, twice actually, the first time I put it on
the wrong partition. But I activated the first time
thinking I'd get it over with early and not be bothered
with it, so I think I wasted at least 1 activation if not
the second I am using currently. I am wondering if I
call up (some number for activation that I can't seem to
find), will I be able to get both activations back,
because I am using the same computer, just different
harddrive, and because I made a mistake and was forced to
reactivate.

Such a reactivation will be seen as being essentially the same machine,
and should not reduce your MSDN ten. BTW - just in case, I remind you
that MSDN licenses cover evaluation and development - not for use on
production machines#