Activation hyperlinks not work

I spent about 10 hours on the phone with Microsoft trying to activate Vista
Business MAK but without success. The problem is that the hyperlinks for the
activation keys do not work. Any suggestions? At first Vista indicated that I
had 3 days to activate. After that ran out, it now says that I have 27 days
to activate but the hyperlinks do not work.

Charlene Shepard [MSFT]

Hi Grant,

There are two places where you can access links to activation: one is the
Help system and the other is the System Control Panel (you need to have an
active Internet connection to use either one). Here is how you can get to
each:

Help System:
1. Click the Start button, and then click Help and Support.
2. In the search box, type "activation" and then press ENTER.
3. Click the help topic titled "Activate Windows on this computer" and
follow the instructions (there is a shortcut that will automatically try to
activate your copy of Windows for you).

System Control Panel:
1. Click the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Under Windows activation, click Click here to activate Windows now.

Do either of these methods work for you?

Charlene

None of those posts are relevant. I have a Vitsa Business MAK. I ordered
another disk from my organization and installed it over the previous Vitsa
Business MAK and that did not work either.

It is amazing how unhelpful Microsoft is in this regard. When spending the
10 hours trying to activate through the phone, dealing with managers even, I
still cannot activate. I even went through two managers and they were even
less helpful! :)

Jane C

Several of the posters in that link also have Business MAK keys which were
giving them the same error as you reported.

Did you enter your MAK key during install? If not, have you tried changing
your key and entering your MAK?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Grant,
Open and Elevated CMD prompt:
Run slmgr -dlv all
Capture the output,
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Activation hyperlinks not work
|>Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 04:16:11 -0700
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=982073&SiteID=25

|>> --
|>> Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
|>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
|>> MVP Windows Shell/User

It appears that the version that is active is a KMS version; there are two
MAK versions not in use. My license is for MAK. I ordered another disk from
my HQ and reintstalled it over the previous MAK so that is why there are two
versions of MAK. How do I get rid of the KMS version? It has 17 days left.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Grant,
Open and Elevated CMD prompt:
Run slmgr -dlv all
Capture the output,
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Activation hyperlinks not work
|>Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 04:16:11 -0700
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>None of those posts are relevant. I have a Vitsa Business MAK. I ordered
|>another disk from my organization and installed it over the previous
Vitsa
|>Business MAK and that did not work either.
|>
|>It is amazing how unhelpful Microsoft is in this regard. When spending
the
|>10 hours trying to activate through the phone, dealing with managers
even, I
|>still cannot activate. I even went through two managers and they were
even
|>less helpful! :)
|>
|>"Jane C" wrote:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=982073&SiteID=25

|>> --
|>> Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
|>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
|>> MVP Windows Shell/User

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Grant,
That list is of the possible licenses for the that install.
So the active one is the installed license.
You can change that by running slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
where xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx is your MAK product key
If you installed over an existing install, you will have to change the
product key to a MAK since the default product key with an installation is
to use teh generic kms client key.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Activation hyperlinks not work
|>Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:13:02 -0700
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>It appears that the version that is active is a KMS version; there are
two
|>MAK versions not in use. My license is for MAK. I ordered another disk
from
|>my HQ and reintstalled it over the previous MAK so that is why there are
two
|>versions of MAK. How do I get rid of the KMS version? It has 17 days
left.

|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|>> Hello Grant,
|>> Open and Elevated CMD prompt:
|>> Run slmgr -dlv all
|>> Capture the output,
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------
|>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>> Vitsa

|>> the
|>> even, I
|>> even

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=982073&SiteID=25

one
|>> is the
|>> have
|>> get to

|>> and
|>> try

Windows
|>> now.

|>> activate
|>> hyperlinks
|>> indicated
|>> have 27

Finally an answer! :) Thank you Darrel.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Grant,
That list is of the possible licenses for the that install.
So the active one is the installed license.
You can change that by running slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
where xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx is your MAK product key
If you installed over an existing install, you will have to change the
product key to a MAK since the default product key with an installation is
to use teh generic kms client key.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Activation hyperlinks not work
|>Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:13:02 -0700
|>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>It appears that the version that is active is a KMS version; there are
two
|>MAK versions not in use. My license is for MAK. I ordered another disk
from
|>my HQ and reintstalled it over the previous MAK so that is why there are
two
|>versions of MAK. How do I get rid of the KMS version? It has 17 days
left.

|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|>> Hello Grant,
|>> Open and Elevated CMD prompt:
|>> Run slmgr -dlv all
|>> Capture the output,
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------
|>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

|>> Vitsa

|>> the
|>> even, I
|>> even

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=982073&SiteID=25

one
|>> is the
|>> have
|>> get to

|>> and
|>> try

Windows
|>> now.

|>> activate
|>> hyperlinks
|>> indicated
|>> have 27

Darrell, this process worked! :) The hyperlinks did not work but by using
slui to activate, it activated over the internet. Again, thank you for your
help.