ACE Please read this! regarding a reply you posted

Ed

Hi Ace I did a search in the dns newsgroup and fond a
reply by you that looked like this.
Subject: Re: CANNOT REMOVE DC from Domain
From: "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&[email protected]
Sent: 10/28/2003 3:50:22 AM

Thanks for posting that info.

The major issue apparently is your AD DNS Domain name is a
single label
name. This is evident with your Primary DNS Suffix. If
AD's DNS domain name
shows up just as this as it shows up in your ADUC, then
that's pretty much
the issue here. If you have SP4 installed, which I assume
you do, that will
prevent your AD information from registering into DNS. The
was stopped to
prevent MS DNS servers from querying the Roots on the
Internet for single
label names.

Do the SRV folders exist under the zonename in DNS?

Please take a look at this article. However, keep in mind
this will not help
XP Pro clients when they query for resources in a domain.
You may need to
plan on changing the name of your domain to a recommended
name format.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300684

Sorry for the bad news.
:-(

Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can
benefit.

I have the same problem on one of my user networks.
Changing the domain name is that as extream as it sounds ?
(demote to nt4 pdc and promote back to 2k ad)

Will the fix that MS has cause problems with the other
domains in the forrest that have a two lable domain name ?

The domain looks like this: single labled domain as the
first domain (domain1 still uses the domain name from the
NT4 network)and they have added two extra domains into the
forrest that looks like domain2.local and domain3.local
the two .local domains are i other parts of the world
connected using VPN tunnels.
All three domains have a local dns server and domain 2 and
3 have a forward to domain1 in their dns servers and vice
versa (all 3 domains forward to eachother before
forwarding to internet)

Best regards
Edvert

Ace Fekay [MVP]

Hmm, your post is kind of confusing, but let's see if I can understand
what's going on...read below inline...

From: "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&[email protected]

I have the same problem on one of my user networks.
Changing the domain name is that as extream as it sounds ?
(demote to nt4 pdc and promote back to 2k ad)

It's not that extreme actually, but I would recommend it.
Will the fix that MS has cause problems with the other
domains in the forrest that have a two lable domain name ?

Not sure what you mean...
The domain looks like this: single labled domain as the
first domain (domain1 still uses the domain name from the
NT4 network)

So let's say your DNS domain name is called "domain".
and they have added two extra domains into the
forrest that looks like domain2.local and domain3.local

Are these child domains or another tree in the forest?
the two .local domains are i other parts of the world
connected using VPN tunnels.
All three domains have a local dns server and domain 2 and
3 have a forward to domain1 in their dns servers and vice
versa (all 3 domains forward to eachother before
forwarding to internet)

Why would they be forwarding to each other? NOt necessary if they are a
different tree. You could create a secondary of the orignal tree's root DNS
zones on the new tree's DNS server. Forwarding to each other may cause a
forwarding loop and may negate resolution.

Or are they child domains and you delegated and forwarded back to the root?
That is the recommendation with child domains in different locations.