Account lockout disabled but still locking out.

Owen

Hi Guys. I'm wondering if you can help us.

We trialled the account lockout on one of our domains but have decided
to disable it since it was locking them out numerous times daily (with
SMS logons and stuff). Anyhow, we've disabled it in the default
domain policy where it was enabled but it is still locking people out.

Is it enough to just remove the tick from the account lockout options
to disable them or is there some registry key that needs modifying?
I've checked and double checked, the default domain policy is the only
one affecting this OU (but all users under different OU's are affected
anyway)... so it has to be the default policy that is causing it but
it is not set in there to lock out the accounts.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Kind regards,
Owen.

Bill Wagner

Hello Owen,
You may want to look at the following articles to help resolve this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259576&Product=win20
00
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255550&Product=win20
00
I hope this helps
--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Owen)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
Subject: Account lockout disabled but still locking out.
Date: 27 Sep 2004 22:11:15 -0700

Hi Guys. I'm wondering if you can help us.

We trialled the account lockout on one of our domains but have decided
to disable it since it was locking them out numerous times daily (with
SMS logons and stuff). Anyhow, we've disabled it in the default
domain policy where it was enabled but it is still locking people out.

Is it enough to just remove the tick from the account lockout options
to disable them or is there some registry key that needs modifying?
I've checked and double checked, the default domain policy is the only
one affecting this OU (but all users under different OU's are affected
anyway)... so it has to be the default policy that is causing it but
it is not set in there to lock out the accounts.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Kind regards,
Owen.

Thank you,

Bill Wagner(MSFT)
Microsoft Corp.

Please do not send email directly to this alias.
This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.

Owen

Hi Bill.

I still haven't had any luck getting rid of the lockout. I've had to
change the policy to 10 invalid logon attempts and to only lockout for
1 minute... I can't seem to get rid of it.

Thanks for the links to those articles.

Kind regards,
Owen.

Kevin Bowersock

A quick note :

If you simply "untick" the account lockout threashhold ( Undefine it)
You do not turn it off. Remember "UNDEFINEing" a policy option leaves it
as it was last time it was defined.
You will have to leave it defined and set the Lockout to "0"
this will keep accounts from locking out at all.

Remember Undefined != turned off
Undefined = "Don't Change it! "

Best regards,

(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Owen)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| Subject: Re: Account lockout disabled but still locking out.
| Date: 29 Sep 2004 18:37:08 -0700
|
| Hi Bill.
|
| I still haven't had any luck getting rid of the lockout. I've had to
| change the policy to 10 invalid logon attempts and to only lockout for
| 1 minute... I can't seem to get rid of it.
|
| Thanks for the links to those articles.
|
| Kind regards,
| Owen.
|
| (e-mail address removed) ("Bill Wagner(MSFT)") wrote in message
| > Hello Owen,
| > You may want to look at the following articles to help resolve this
issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259576&Product=win20
| > 00

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255550&Product=win20
| > 00
| > I hope this helps
| > --------------------
| > >From: (e-mail address removed) (Owen)
| > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| > >Subject: Account lockout disabled but still locking out.
| > >Date: 27 Sep 2004 22:11:15 -0700
| > >
| > >Hi Guys. I'm wondering if you can help us.
| > >
| > >We trialled the account lockout on one of our domains but have decided
| > >to disable it since it was locking them out numerous times daily (with
| > >SMS logons and stuff). Anyhow, we've disabled it in the default
| > >domain policy where it was enabled but it is still locking people out.
| > >
| > >Is it enough to just remove the tick from the account lockout options
| > >to disable them or is there some registry key that needs modifying?
| > >I've checked and double checked, the default domain policy is the only
| > >one affecting this OU (but all users under different OU's are affected
| > >anyway)... so it has to be the default policy that is causing it but
| > >it is not set in there to lock out the accounts.
| > >
| > >Has anyone experienced this before?
| > >
| > >Kind regards,
| > >Owen.
| > >

| > Thank you,
| >
| > Bill Wagner(MSFT)
| > Microsoft Corp.

Owen

Thanks for that. I thought that was the case but the other policy
elements have a disable option whereas this didn't. I'll give it a
shot.

Many thanks,
Owen.