Accidental dual boot instead of upgrade from Win2000 Pro

G

I have Windows 2000 Pro and was upgrading to Windows XP Pro. I don't remember any dual boot option during the upgrade process, but now I find XP on my e: partition and 2000 (with all my user programs) on my c: partition; I've accidentally gotten myself a dual boot PC

Can I get rid of the e: partition XP and rerun this so it will truly 'upgrade' me from 2000? When I run the XP installation CD agan, it just re-upgrades to partition e: without asking anything.

R

Rich Barry

Why don't you delete the Windows Folder in WinXP from Win2k or even try
formatting the E:
rklipp said:
I have Windows 2000 Pro and was upgrading to Windows XP Pro. I don't
remember any dual boot option during the upgrade process, but now I find XP
on my e: partition and 2000 (with all my user programs) on my c: partition;
I've accidentally gotten myself a dual boot PC.
Can I get rid of the e: partition XP and rerun this so it will truly
'upgrade' me from 2000? When I run the XP installation CD agan, it just
re-upgrades to partition e: without asking anything.

G

It turns out I was using (given) a Dell XP installation CD which specifically says it's only for reinstallation of XP. Its "Upgrade" option really just gave me the dual boot machine I now have -- and didn't want. I guess Dell's reasoning is that they're specifically not wanting someone to use Dell's XP CD to upgrade from another OS.

Anyway, I'm going to use a Microsoft XP installation (and upgrade) CD after deleting the Windows folder on my e: drive. Worst case, I'll have to do a complete install on my PC. Thanks.

----- Rich Barry wrote: -----

Why don't you delete the Windows Folder in WinXP from Win2k or even try
formatting the E:
rklipp said:
I have Windows 2000 Pro and was upgrading to Windows XP Pro. I don't
remember any dual boot option during the upgrade process, but now I find XP
on my e: partition and 2000 (with all my user programs) on my c: partition;
I've accidentally gotten myself a dual boot PC.'upgrade' me from 2000? When I run the XP installation CD agan, it just
re-upgrades to partition e: without asking anything.

Ask a Question