accessing .wim recovery files

I've been searching for 2 solid weeks to find a solution, but I'm just
running in circles.
Short story: I need to get my music/pictures off of a recovery disk. Is it
possible?

Long story: I sent my Vista Basic laptop to Hp for repair. They didn't fix
it, but instead upgraded to Premium. Premium is a lot better than basic, but
all of my music/pictures/important papers are stored on the recovery cd's I
made before sending it off. I stuck a disk into the drive and explored it -
it contains a few script files and a massive .wim file, which I assume
contains what I'm looking for. I read that imagex can mount the file so I can
explore it like a folder, but to do that, I needed to install WAIK so I could
get the wimsysfilter or something. Well, I have all that and I have done
everything that the instructions said, but when I run the command <imagex
/mountrw e:\preload\base5.wim 1 c:\vistamount> it says the request is not
supported.
Again, is this even possible?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Did you copy the wim file to the local hard drive or are you attempting to
mount it from the DVD drive?
You are trying to mount the wim file with Read Write and if it's still on
the DVD drive that could cause an issue.
What generated the WIM file? Was it the repair shop? What tools did they
use to generate this file?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?UmFiaWRuMDBi?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: accessing .wim recovery files
|> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:20:01 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> I've been searching for 2 solid weeks to find a solution, but I'm just
|> running in circles.
|> Short story: I need to get my music/pictures off of a recovery disk. Is
it
|> possible?
|>
|> Long story: I sent my Vista Basic laptop to Hp for repair. They didn't
fix
|> it, but instead upgraded to Premium. Premium is a lot better than basic,
but
|> all of my music/pictures/important papers are stored on the recovery
cd's I
|> made before sending it off. I stuck a disk into the drive and explored
it -
|> it contains a few script files and a massive .wim file, which I assume
|> contains what I'm looking for. I read that imagex can mount the file so
I can
|> explore it like a folder, but to do that, I needed to install WAIK so I
could
|> get the wimsysfilter or something. Well, I have all that and I have done
|> everything that the instructions said, but when I run the command
<imagex
|> /mountrw e:\preload\base5.wim 1 c:\vistamount> it says the request is
not
|> supported.
|> Again, is this even possible?

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I had a typo; I'm just using /mount, not /mountrw.

I used HP's backup utility, and it is stored on a total of 9 disks. I tried
just running the disks and attempting to actually restore everything a few
days ago, but all it did was open system restore before booting windows. The
problem with that is that (I'll have to check again, but) it didn't give any
of the restore dates from Basic.
I hope I'm wrong on this, but I think it only backed up the OS itself and
none of the files I'm looking for. If that is the case, everything is gone.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I am not familiar with HP's backup utility so I don't know whether it uses
the same format as the wim format used by ImageX