accessing SQL Server 2000 from device through WiFi connection

J. A. Zanetti

Hello NG.
I am about to design a new application that should work
over a WiFi connection. I would like device(s) to be able
to connect to an SQL Server running on a server available
in the LAN. My idea would be not to have any SQLCE
database in the device(s), providing direct access to data
in the server.
My application will need no more than 10/15 devices,
working in a small area (1 big room) and connected through
WiFi to a server. Devices will need quite small data
exchange (few readings, and very few writings).

Can anyone explain if my idea is realizable? If so, has
anyone tested reading and writing performance?

Thank you very much in advance for your help. Best regards,

J.

Shaun Wilde

I did somethng similar but accessed the SQL database running on the main
server via webservices over a WIFI link

datasets were very useful in this manner

Beau Randall

I did this with Sybase ASA and a PPC device. It was much faster than on the
device itself.

Kevin Boske - [MS]

This sounds like a good application for a SqlDataAdapter as you expect the
devices to be well connected with a small amount of data.

Kevin Boske
([email protected])
SQL Server CE Team
Microsoft
Everything you need to know about SQL Server CE:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ce/techinfo/default.asp
From: "Shaun Wilde" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: accessing SQL Server 2000 from device through WiFi connection
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:57:19 +0100