Access Access Form: Can't edit or create new record

Reaction score
Ok, I have searched the Web, MS, and tried everything I can think of.

I have a form that has several underlying tables. One of those tables is 'Footprint'. Among others, Footprint has three fields: [Footprint Ref], [Footprint Ref_Legacy], [FootprintNum]. The last field is a autogenerated unique number. There are no duplicates in any of the 3 fields.

The form populates a [Part] table with a footprint based on [Footprint Ref].

If I make [Footprint Ref_Legacy] the key, all is fine, I can add and edit records through the form. However, if EITHER of the other two fields are the key, I cannot. Furthermore, all the parameters: Format, Event (There are none), Data, and Other are all the same for both [Footprint Ref] and [Footprint Ref_Legacy].

It does not make any difference if my relationship is
[Parts].[Footprint] -> [Footprint].[Footprint Ref] or
[Parts].[Footprint] -> [Footprint].[Footprint Ref_Legacy].
If the primary key is on [Footprint].[Footprint Ref] it will not allow me to add or edit records, although I can see all existing records.

I have verified the usual suspects, empty querys, Form settings, Data entry, etc. Regardless, the point is that it works on one field and not the others.

Reaction score
I ran into the same issue with one of my forms built under the same conditions. If you can have your Footprint Ref_Legacy be the primary and it will not adversely affect the overall structure of your DB, that's what I would do. I had tables labeled "Products" and "Orders".. I figured out, that if I altered my queries to use only information from Orders, then the tables and forms all talked to each other and it worked. But.. If I tired to use "Products" in the query and the forms, it wouldn't work. It has something to do with the relationship structure and I just haven't had the time to investigate it. Just needed this thing to work right, right now. and it does for the most part. I'm just having issues with continual reports in (Reports) and continual sums on the form (even when the Default Value is 0) :(

So, hope this helps. Path of least resistance and all.

Good luck, if I figure it out on my end.. will check back.

Thanks.

Ok, I have searched the Web, MS, and tried everything I can think of.

I have a form that has several underlying tables. One of those tables is 'Footprint'. Among others, Footprint has three fields: [Footprint Ref], [Footprint Ref_Legacy], [FootprintNum]. The last field is a autogenerated unique number. There are no duplicates in any of the 3 fields.

The form populates a [Part] table with a footprint based on [Footprint Ref].

If I make [Footprint Ref_Legacy] the key, all is fine, I can add and edit records through the form. However, if EITHER of the other two fields are the key, I cannot. Furthermore, all the parameters: Format, Event (There are none), Data, and Other are all the same for both [Footprint Ref] and [Footprint Ref_Legacy].

It does not make any difference if my relationship is
[Parts].[Footprint] -> [Footprint].[Footprint Ref] or
[Parts].[Footprint] -> [Footprint].[Footprint Ref_Legacy].
If the primary key is on [Footprint].[Footprint Ref] it will not allow me to add or edit records, although I can see all existing records.

I have verified the usual suspects, empty querys, Form settings, Data entry, etc. Regardless, the point is that it works on one field and not the others.

Ask a Question