Access denied to files/folders on Vista PC from an MCE PC

My home nework (two PC's hard-wired and a laptop wireless) seems to work fine
with the exception that I cannot access files on the Vista RC1 PC from my
Windows MCE 2005 PC or the laptop. I don't have a problem moving or copying
files when I'm on the Vista PC, but when I use Windows Explorer on the MCE PC
I get the dreaded (access denied, you may not have permission etc) message.
I can access files in the Public Folder, but not any files on either C: or D:
drive. I have checked permissions and all the boxes under allowed are
checked. Is there a user account I need to set up? What am I doing wrong?
I even tried shutting down the firewall in PC-Cillin Internet Security 14,
but to no avail.

Jimmy Brush

Hello,

Do you have password-protected sharing turned off? If you do, then you will
only be able to remotely access areas like the public folder that are set to
allow access to guests or "everyone".

I made the changes by turning password-protected sharing on. I created a new
user account and password on the Vista PC, but when I try to access it
through my MCE PC, I get prompted for the user and password. When I enter
them, the dialog box reopens (changing the name of the user by adding the
name of the vista PC with a backward slash and then the user name I had
originally typed). I hit enter again and get the same dialog box. In other
words, the Vista PC is apparently not accepting the user name and password I
provide. When passwords protection was turned off, I could see the both hard
drive names in the windows explorer window, but now I only see the name of
the Vista PC and when I click on it I am prompted for the user and password.

brenick

I had a similar problem and setup. Vista RC2 and Windows MCE. I think this
is what I did. The goal is to give
everyone shared access to this folder. This works with or without password
sharing turned on in the Network and Sharing Center.

Right Click on the folder to be shared. Click on Properties.
Under Properties, click on the Sharing tab.
Click Advanced Sharing.
Check the Share this folder box in the Advanced Sharing window.
Click on the Permissions button.
Click on Add in the Persmissions window.
In the object names enter Everyone
Click on Check Names.
Click on OK.
Click on Everyone in the Group or user names section.
Check the Full control box on the permissions section
Click OK.
Click OK on the Advanced Sharing window
Click Close on the folder properties window.