Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit

After upgrading several Windows 2000 Pro machines to Windows XP Pro and
installing SP2, and all of the updates as of 11/21/2005, I am noticing some
strange behavior.

One is that when I attempt to connect to the Event Viewer or the Registry of
another machine, I receive and access is denied error message. When I go to
the machine and look at the event log, I am not seeing anything in particular
that points to such a problem.

I looked at KB 892192 which was related to XP pro and W2K3, it fits the
error to a "T", but when I traverse to the
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers and look for
Permissions under the winreg setting, it does not exist...

The second part to this is that Remote Desktop works just fine, but Help and
Support does not, it just prompts me to log into the workstation after
detecting the user, but wants to log off the user if I attempt to log on. I
am not sure if this is related or if this is another issue.

The machine is part of a domain, and takes a Domain Firewall Policy,
machines that are OEM for XP Pro behave just fine, and everything works just
fine.

I am connecting from an XP Pro SP2 machine to the same, and each machine
that has been upgraded, behave the same way.

Also, the HLKM... that I talked about above, does not exist on any other XP
OEM or otherwise machine. And GPEdit reports that the settings are in fact
alking place as expected for these machines as well.

Thanks

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, it seems that you have two issues as below:
1. You are encountering the same symptom which described in KB892192.
However, you are not able to find the registry key winreg in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers to
set.
2. Remote Desktop works just fine, but Help and Support does not, it just
prompts me to log into the workstation after detecting the user, but wants
to log off the user if you attempt to log on.

You are using two different features in Windows XP. It seems that these two
questions are unrelated. Please understand that our newsgroup is an issue
based service, meaning we usually respond to one question/issue per post.
This will lessen the confusion for both of us, as well as ensure that our
results are accurate and not a result of a test for a different question.
Therefore, I will work with you on the first question in this post.
Regarding the additional question, please open a new post so that the
dedicated MS engineer can help you on it in a more efficient manner.

For the first issue, please help me confirm the following information first:
1. Does the issue (lack of registry key) only occur on the machines with
OEM Windows XP Pro?
2. Does the issue only occur on the specific registry key? What about other
registry keys?

If the problem only occurs on the machines with OEM Windows XP Pro, I
suspect this issue should be related to OEM. Since original equipment
manufacturers (OEM) that preload Microsoft software on the computers and/or
peripherals they sell provides all support for those Microsoft products.
Since OEM has customizes the Microsoft software for your specific computer
system and is, therefore, I suggest you first contact the OEM manufacturer
to see whether they are able to provide some help on this.

At this moment, I also suggest you manually create the following registry
keys in the problematic machines to see if it can help:

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 2004-12-6 - 16:53
Value 0
Name: Description
Type: REG_SZ
Data: Registry Server

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg
\AllowedPaths
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 2004-12-6 - 16:53
Value 0
Name: Machine
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Server Applications
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog
Software\Microsoft\OLAP Server
Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\UserConfig
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\DefaultUserConfiguration

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit
| Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:03:04 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| After upgrading several Windows 2000 Pro machines to Windows XP Pro and
| installing SP2, and all of the updates as of 11/21/2005, I am noticing
some
| strange behavior.
|
| One is that when I attempt to connect to the Event Viewer or the Registry
of
| another machine, I receive and access is denied error message. When I go
| the machine and look at the event log, I am not seeing anything in
particular
| that points to such a problem.
|
| I looked at KB 892192 which was related to XP pro and W2K3, it fits the
| error to a "T", but when I traverse to the
| HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers and look for
| Permissions under the winreg setting, it does not exist...
|
| The second part to this is that Remote Desktop works just fine, but Help
and
| Support does not, it just prompts me to log into the workstation after
| detecting the user, but wants to log off the user if I attempt to log on.
| am not sure if this is related or if this is another issue.
|
| The machine is part of a domain, and takes a Domain Firewall Policy,
| machines that are OEM for XP Pro behave just fine, and everything works
just
| fine.
|
| I am connecting from an XP Pro SP2 machine to the same, and each machine
| that has been upgraded, behave the same way.
|
| Also, the HLKM... that I talked about above, does not exist on any other
XP
| OEM or otherwise machine. And GPEdit reports that the settings are in
fact
| alking place as expected for these machines as well.
|
| Thanks

Thanks for the info Ken.

Perhaps the following info will help answer your questions.
- If I attempt to connect to a machine using Event Viewer or Regedit from my
OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 machine to another OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 machine, I
can connect with no problems...HOWEVER, if I use the same machine to connect
to an UPGRADED Windows XP Pro SP2 machine I get the Access Denied error.
This is true on all of my upgraded machines so far.

- I only mentioned the Registry Key that was missing since the KB referenced
it, but in either case, whether it is OEM or the UPGRADE the key does not
exist.

NOW - as for the suggested key, this key already exists on my machines, this
is the paste from a machine that is not working, that is to allow me to
connect to the registry...

[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg]
[AllowedPaths] [Machine]
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Server Applications
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog
Software\Microsoft\OLAP Server
Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\UserConfig
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\DefaultUserConfiguration

Please note, the problem is NOT WITH OEM, but rather machines that are
UPGRADED to Windows XP Pro and then SP2 is applied, then all of the patches
are applied (that is as of 11/21/05 when I noticed this behaviour)

Thanks

ADDITIONAL INFO-

I also found this article 840634 entitled
"You receive an "Access denied" or "The network path was not found" error
message when you try to remotely manage a computer that is running Windows XP
Service Pack 2"

The article describes exactly the behavior that I am getting, I mentioned
that I use a GPO to make the setting, but I also tried the command line
option 1, and received an OK message that the command had completed.

The event log shows nothing when I attempt to connect to the workstation and
get the "access denied"

THanks

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and additional info!

I am not sure if you have tried the other methods that described in
KB840634. If not, I suggest you try the other two methods.

If the problem persists, I will suggest you make the following test:
Please upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP and not apply the SP2 on a
test machine. And then test the issue again. It will help us narrow down if
the issue is related to SP2 applying.

In addition, if the problem starts occurring recently, I also suggest you
perform a System Restore to revert back to the initial status or other
correct state.

Note: If you have some important documents or files which are created after
the restore point, please copy them to My Document. This is a precaution to
take even if you are back to the initial status, files will still remain in
My Documents.

To restore your system to a previous state, we can use the following steps:

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open
programs.
2. Click "Start"; Click "Programs or All Programs"; Click "Accessories";
Click "System Tools"; Click "System Restore". The System Restore user
interface should appear.
3. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next".
4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point
when your system is working correctly and click "Next".
5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system will
restart automatically.
6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If
not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in
System Restore user interface.

306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084

Hope that helps!

> [...]

| > Server\DefaultUserConfiguration
| >
| > Hope the information helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit
| > | Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:03:04 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | After upgrading several Windows 2000 Pro machines to Windows XP Pro
and
| > | installing SP2, and all of the updates as of 11/21/2005, I am
| > |
| > | One is that when I attempt to connect to the Event Viewer or the
Registry
| > of
| > | another machine, I receive and access is denied error message. When
I go
| > | the machine and look at the event log, I am not seeing anything in
| > particular
| > | that points to such a problem.
| > |
| > | I looked at KB 892192 which was related to XP pro and W2K3, it fits
the
| > | error to a "T", but when I traverse to the
| > | HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers and look for
| > | Permissions under the winreg setting, it does not exist...
| > |
| > | The second part to this is that Remote Desktop works just fine, but
Help
| > and
| > | Support does not, it just prompts me to log into the workstation
after
| > | detecting the user, but wants to log off the user if I attempt to log
on.
| > | am not sure if this is related or if this is another issue.
| > |
| > | The machine is part of a domain, and takes a Domain Firewall Policy,
| > | machines that are OEM for XP Pro behave just fine, and everything
works
| > just
| > | fine.
| > |
| > | I am connecting from an XP Pro SP2 machine to the same, and each
machine
| > | that has been upgraded, behave the same way.
| > |
| > | Also, the HLKM... that I talked about above, does not exist on any
other
| > XP
| > | OEM or otherwise machine. And GPEdit reports that the settings are
in
| > fact
| > | alking place as expected for these machines as well.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |

Hi Ken.
Well, regarding the KB, I confirmed that my GPO is being applied, by using
the Group Policy Results.

Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception Enabled
Default Domain Firewall Policy
Allow unsolicited incoming messages from: 192.168.1.204,192.168.1.207

---

In the mean time here is what I performed. I took my machine did a system
restore back to Monday Morning when I started the W2K upgrade...to XP Pro.
After the reboot, I noted that SP2 was still installed even after the system
restore. So I performed an Uninstall, which also removed all of my Updates
that I had made.

I then rebooted, and tried my test again, but I still get the Access Denied
for Event Viewer and Regedit.

I am re-applying SP2 and getting the machine to be in use again.

The issue must have to do with the Upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

I am using my Windows XP Core CD as part of my Open License, and choosing
the Upgrade option when running under Windows 2000 and starting the install.

I am not using a Windows XP Upgrade CD...I never received one and was told I
could use my Open CD to perform the same step. I use the CD Key from the
particular license that has the upgrades that I have specified. For example
Machines 1-5 are all on a particular license where I purchased 5 upgrades
from Windows 2000 to XP. I then went and got the CD keys from the eOpen site
as usual, and performed the upgrade, it takes the keys. I am mentioning all
of this to make sure this is not the issue I am running into...?

--

Also in one KB I noted that it suggested making sure the Permissions key was
listed under the winreg key we started talking about...My machines do not

Thanks

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

| > Server\DefaultUserConfiguration
| >
| > Hope the information helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit
| > | Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:03:04 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | After upgrading several Windows 2000 Pro machines to Windows XP Pro
and
| > | installing SP2, and all of the updates as of 11/21/2005, I am
| > |
| > | One is that when I attempt to connect to the Event Viewer or the
Registry
| > of
| > | another machine, I receive and access is denied error message. When
I go
| > | the machine and look at the event log, I am not seeing anything in
| > particular
| > | that points to such a problem.
| > |
| > | I looked at KB 892192 which was related to XP pro and W2K3, it fits
the
| > | error to a "T", but when I traverse to the
| > | HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers and look for
| > | Permissions under the winreg setting, it does not exist...
| > |
| > | The second part to this is that Remote Desktop works just fine, but
Help
| > and
| > | Support does not, it just prompts me to log into the workstation
after
| > | detecting the user, but wants to log off the user if I attempt to log
on.
| > | am not sure if this is related or if this is another issue.
| > |
| > | The machine is part of a domain, and takes a Domain Firewall Policy,
| > | machines that are OEM for XP Pro behave just fine, and everything
works
| > just
| > | fine.
| > |
| > | I am connecting from an XP Pro SP2 machine to the same, and each
machine
| > | that has been upgraded, behave the same way.
| > |
| > | Also, the HLKM... that I talked about above, does not exist on any
other
| > XP
| > | OEM or otherwise machine. And GPEdit reports that the settings are
in
| > fact
| > | alking place as expected for these machines as well.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your efforts and reply!

At this time, if the winreg key has been added in the registry, on the
Windows XP SP2, please add Local Service to the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg
key with Read - Allow permissions, and then test this issue again.

If this issue still exists, please refer to the following KB article to
reset the security settings to the default, and test this issue again.

313222: How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313222

In addition, I noticed you said "Also in one KB I noted that it suggested
making sure the Permissions key was listed under the winreg key we started
talking about...My machines do not have a permissions key...all of them.
Is this normal? All I have is AllowedPaths...?" I am not sure what is the
KB number? Is this a Microsoft knowledge article?

Hope the suggestions help!

> [...]

| > 5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system
will
| > restart automatically.
| > 6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now.
If
| > not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point
in
| > System Restore user interface.
| >
| > 306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in
Windows
| > XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | I also found this article 840634 entitled
| > | "You receive an "Access denied" or "The network path was not found"
error
| > | message when you try to remotely manage a computer that is running
| > Windows XP
| > | Service Pack 2"
| > |
| > | The article describes exactly the behavior that I am getting, I
mentioned
| > | that I use a GPO to make the setting, but I also tried the command
line
| > | option 1, and received an OK message that the command had completed.
| > |
| > | The event log shows nothing when I attempt to connect to the
workstation
| > and
| > | get the "access denied"
| > |
| > | THanks
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

KB892192.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers
| > just
| > wants

| > two
| > issue
| > post.
| > our
| > question.

| > first:
| > with
| > other

| > and/or
| > products.
| > computer
| > manufacturer

| > registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg
Applications

| > so
| > rights.

Pro
| > and
| > noticing
| > | > |
| > Registry
When
| > I go
| > | > |
| > the
| > | > |
| > Help
| > after
| > on.
| > | > |
Policy,
| > works
| > | > |
| > machine
| > | > |
| > other
| > in
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Ken, you did it. That was the issue, I have confirmed that on several
machines that have been upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP are not
getting the correct permissions setting for the winreg key.

After adding the local service to the key, I was able to connect remotely to
the Registry and the Event Viewer.

Is there another key in the registry that would be related to Help and
Support for Remote Assistance, that I could look at. I began this post by
also stating that Remote Assitance was not offering itself to the user logged
onto the machine but rather was attempting to log the user off... I did open
another post for this, but thought I could see if you had any other tricks up
your sleave.

Thanks Ken...

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

| > 5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system
will
| > restart automatically.
| > 6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now.
If
| > not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point
in
| > System Restore user interface.
| >
| > 306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in
Windows
| > XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | I also found this article 840634 entitled
| > | "You receive an "Access denied" or "The network path was not found"
error
| > | message when you try to remotely manage a computer that is running
| > Windows XP
| > | Service Pack 2"
| > |
| > | The article describes exactly the behavior that I am getting, I
mentioned
| > | that I use a GPO to make the setting, but I also tried the command
line
| > | option 1, and received an OK message that the command had completed.
| > |
| > | The event log shows nothing when I attempt to connect to the
workstation
| > and
| > | get the "access denied"
| > |
| > | THanks
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

KB892192.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers
| > just
| > wants

| > two
| > issue
| > post.
| > our
| > question.

| > first:
| > with
| > other

Oh, by the way, I looked at the KB you mentioned and tried it just to see
what would happen.

I ran the command:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

It ran through, reset the security settings and my LOCAL SERVICE that I
added to the winreg key was removed and access to the Event Viewer and the
Registry remotely was broken.

Any thoughts

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

| > 5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system
will
| > restart automatically.
| > 6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now.
If
| > not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point
in
| > System Restore user interface.
| >
| > 306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in
Windows
| > XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | I also found this article 840634 entitled
| > | "You receive an "Access denied" or "The network path was not found"
error
| > | message when you try to remotely manage a computer that is running
| > Windows XP
| > | Service Pack 2"
| > |
| > | The article describes exactly the behavior that I am getting, I
mentioned
| > | that I use a GPO to make the setting, but I also tried the command
line
| > | option 1, and received an OK message that the command had completed.
| > |
| > | The event log shows nothing when I attempt to connect to the
workstation
| > and
| > | get the "access denied"
| > |
| > | THanks
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

KB892192.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers
| > just
| > wants

| > two
| > issue
| > post.
| > our
| > question.

| > first:
| > with
| > other

ADDITIONAL INFO:

I noted the two secsetup.inf files are a difference between 511kb on the
upgraded machine and 800kb on my OEM machine.

I seached the upgraded secsetup.inf file for winreg and noted this line:

3e="machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\securepipeservers\winreg", 2,
"D:p(A;CI;GA;;;BA)(A;;GR;;;BO)"

In my OEM secsetup.inf file, the same line read this way:

57="machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\securepipeservers\winreg", 2,
"D:p(A;CI;GA;;;BA)(A;;GR;;;BO)(A;CI;GR;;;LS)"

The file date is 05/29/2002. I looked at another machine that was not
upgraded yet and this was the file version present there. It seems that
during the upgrade the secsetup files and database are not being created.
Keep in mind too that a windows 2000 %windir% is \WINNT and XP of course is
\WINDOWS.

08/09/2004 was the date of an OEM file.

SO HERE IS MY NEW RELATED QUESTION....

Can I copy the inf file from a working OEM machine and rerun the command?
Would I need the secsetup.sdb file, and were is this located that I may see
if this fixes other issues?

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

| > 5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system
will
| > restart automatically.
| > 6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now.
If
| > not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point
in
| > System Restore user interface.
| >
| > 306084: How to restore the operating system to a previous state in
Windows
| > XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306084
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | I also found this article 840634 entitled
| > | "You receive an "Access denied" or "The network path was not found"
error
| > | message when you try to remotely manage a computer that is running
| > Windows XP
| > | Service Pack 2"
| > |
| > | The article describes exactly the behavior that I am getting, I
mentioned
| > | that I use a GPO to make the setting, but I also tried the command
line
| > | option 1, and received an OK message that the command had completed.
| > |
| > | The event log shows nothing when I attempt to connect to the
workstation
| > and
| > | get the "access denied"
| > |
| > | THanks
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

KB892192.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers
| > just
| > wants

| > two
| > issue
| > post.
| > our
| > question.

| > first:
| > with
| > other

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your detaled response!

However, for your new related question, I am not sure if you can run the
inf from the OEM working machine. You may test it.

> [...]

the
| > KB number? Is this a Microsoft knowledge article?
| >
| > Hope the suggestions help!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit
| > | Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:52:05 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Hi Ken.
| > | Well, regarding the KB, I confirmed that my GPO is being applied, by
| > |
| > | Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception Enabled
| > | Default Domain Firewall Policy
| > | Allow unsolicited incoming messages from: 192.168.1.204,192.168.1.207
| > |
| > | ---
| > |
| > | In the mean time here is what I performed. I took my machine did a
| > system
| > | restore back to Monday Morning when I started the W2K upgrade...to XP
| > Pro.
| > | After the reboot, I noted that SP2 was still installed even after the
| > system
| > | restore. So I performed an Uninstall, which also removed all of my
| > Updates
| > | that I had made.
| > |
| > | I then rebooted, and tried my test again, but I still get the Access
| > Denied
| > | for Event Viewer and Regedit.
| > |
| > | I am re-applying SP2 and getting the machine to be in use again.
| > |
| > | The issue must have to do with the Upgrade from Windows 2000 to
Windows
| > XP.
| > |
| > | I am using my Windows XP Core CD as part of my Open License, and
choosing
| > | the Upgrade option when running under Windows 2000 and starting the
| > install.
| > |
| > | I am not using a Windows XP Upgrade CD...I never received one and was
| > told I
| > | could use my Open CD to perform the same step. I use the CD Key from
the
| > | particular license that has the upgrades that I have specified. For
| > example
| > | Machines 1-5 are all on a particular license where I purchased 5
upgrades
| > | from Windows 2000 to XP. I then went and got the CD keys from the
eOpen
| > site
| > | as usual, and performed the upgrade, it takes the keys. I am
mentioning
| > all
| > | of this to make sure this is not the issue I am running into...?
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > | Also in one KB I noted that it suggested making sure the Permissions
key
| > was
| > | listed under the winreg key we started talking about...My machines do
not
| > | have a permissions key...all of them. Is this normal? All I have is
| > | AllowedPaths...?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

SP2 on
| > down if

| > you

| > after
| > precaution to
| > remain in

| > steps:

| > "Accessories";
| > point
| > will
| > If
| > in

| > Windows

| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > error
| > | > |
| > mentioned
| > line
completed.
| > | > |
| > workstation
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > KB892192.
| > | > | >
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers
| > it
| > but

| > these
| > that
| > the

| > information
| > about

Hey Ken,
So rather than use the OEM file from another machine, I downloaded and
installed the "Windows XP Security Guide and Templates" package and use the
SetupSecurity.inf file in there to make the changes.

After doing so created the results I desired.

I would request that Microsoft look at the upgrade proceedure for windows
2000 to Windows XP, or at teh very least create a KB that helps admins to
resolve this issue. It is interesting that performing a google search
results in lots of people having this issue but nobody having a solution.

But there does appear to be an issue with the upgrade process, both from the
inf file standpoint, but also with the forum topic I opened with regard the
Help Assistant feature of Help and Support not working, of which we still do
not have a solution for.

Thanks Ken for your help. We can close this one out.

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

the
| > KB number? Is this a Microsoft knowledge article?
| >
| > Hope the suggestions help!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit
| > | Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:52:05 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Hi Ken.
| > | Well, regarding the KB, I confirmed that my GPO is being applied, by
| > |
| > | Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception Enabled
| > | Default Domain Firewall Policy
| > | Allow unsolicited incoming messages from: 192.168.1.204,192.168.1.207
| > |
| > | ---
| > |
| > | In the mean time here is what I performed. I took my machine did a
| > system
| > | restore back to Monday Morning when I started the W2K upgrade...to XP
| > Pro.
| > | After the reboot, I noted that SP2 was still installed even after the
| > system
| > | restore. So I performed an Uninstall, which also removed all of my
| > Updates
| > | that I had made.
| > |
| > | I then rebooted, and tried my test again, but I still get the Access
| > Denied
| > | for Event Viewer and Regedit.
| > |
| > | I am re-applying SP2 and getting the machine to be in use again.
| > |
| > | The issue must have to do with the Upgrade from Windows 2000 to
Windows
| > XP.
| > |
| > | I am using my Windows XP Core CD as part of my Open License, and
choosing
| > | the Upgrade option when running under Windows 2000 and starting the
| > install.
| > |
| > | I am not using a Windows XP Upgrade CD...I never received one and was
| > told I
| > | could use my Open CD to perform the same step. I use the CD Key from
the
| > | particular license that has the upgrades that I have specified. For
| > example
| > | Machines 1-5 are all on a particular license where I purchased 5
upgrades
| > | from Windows 2000 to XP. I then went and got the CD keys from the
eOpen
| > site
| > | as usual, and performed the upgrade, it takes the keys. I am
mentioning
| > all
| > | of this to make sure this is not the issue I am running into...?
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > | Also in one KB I noted that it suggested making sure the Permissions
key
| > was
| > | listed under the winreg key we started talking about...My machines do
not
| > | have a permissions key...all of them. Is this normal? All I have is
| > | AllowedPaths...?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

SP2 on
| > down if

| > you

| > after
| > precaution to
| > remain in

| > steps:

| > "Accessories";
| > point
| > will
| > If
| > in

| > Windows

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your response and detailed feedback of your current situation.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit
| Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 06:25:03 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hey Ken,
| So rather than use the OEM file from another machine, I downloaded and
| installed the "Windows XP Security Guide and Templates" package and use
the
| SetupSecurity.inf file in there to make the changes.
|
| After doing so created the results I desired.
|
| I would request that Microsoft look at the upgrade proceedure for windows
| 2000 to Windows XP, or at teh very least create a KB that helps admins to
| resolve this issue. It is interesting that performing a google search
| results in lots of people having this issue but nobody having a solution.
|
| But there does appear to be an issue with the upgrade process, both from
the
| inf file standpoint, but also with the forum topic I opened with regard
the
| Help Assistant feature of Help and Support not working, of which we still
do
| not have a solution for.
|
| Thanks Ken for your help. We can close this one out.

| "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Thanks for your detaled response!
| >
| > However, for your new related question, I am not sure if you can run
the
| > inf from the OEM working machine. You may test it.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Access Denied for Event Viewer or Regedit
| > | Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:20:31 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | ADDITIONAL INFO:
| > |
| > | I noted the two secsetup.inf files are a difference between 511kb on
the
| > | upgraded machine and 800kb on my OEM machine.
| > |
| > | I seached the upgraded secsetup.inf file for winreg and noted this
line:
| > |
| > |
3e="machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\securepipeservers\winreg",
| > 2,
| > | "D:p(A;CI;GA;;;BA)(A;;GR;;;BO)"
| > |
| > | In my OEM secsetup.inf file, the same line read this way:
| > |
| > |
57="machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\securepipeservers\winreg",
| > 2,
| > | "D:p(A;CI;GA;;;BA)(A;;GR;;;BO)(A;CI;GR;;;LS)"
| > |
| > | The file date is 05/29/2002. I looked at another machine that was
not
| > | upgraded yet and this was the file version present there. It seems
that
| > | during the upgrade the secsetup files and database are not being
created.

| > | Keep in mind too that a windows 2000 %windir% is \WINNT and XP of
course
| > is
| > | \WINDOWS.
| > |
| > | 08/09/2004 was the date of an OEM file.
| > |
| > | SO HERE IS MY NEW RELATED QUESTION....
| > |
| > | Can I copy the inf file from a working OEM machine and rerun the
command?
| > | Would I need the secsetup.sdb file, and were is this located that I
may
| > see
| > | if this fixes other issues?
| > |
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg

| > suggested
| > started
| > them.
| > the