Access Connection

W

Wayne

Hi,

If I have several users in different cities, such as Hong Kong, Beijing, New York and the main database is saved in London. How do the users can input the data to the access file in London.
Shall I save the database in SQL sever? but How can the clients in different cities connect to the SQL sever?
Thank you very much!

Wayne

J

James Goodman

The best solution will probably depend on the bandwidth available between the locations, & the level of latency you are prepared to endure.

Access replication would allow disconnected databases to be used, which could then be syncronized as required. However, this will lead to latency in the updates. I believe you could use Office Replication Manager to keep this to a minimum.

SQL Server could be a good idea. Again it could be used with replication, & the latency could be reduced further. It would probably reduce the amount of traffic going between the sites compared to Access, & should offer better performance if a lot of users will be connecting to it.

You could create VPN tunnels between the sites, & edit a single copy, but performance is likely to be poor.

How about creating the data-entry app as a web application (such as asp or asp.net)? This would enable users from anywhere to update the data at a single location, & the amount of data transferred is kept to a minimum...

--
Cheers,

James Goodman
Hi,

If I have several users in different cities, such as Hong Kong, Beijing, New York and the main database is saved in London. How do the users can input the data to the access file in London.
Shall I save the database in SQL sever? but How can the clients in different cities connect to the SQL sever?
Thank you very much!

Wayne

A

Arvin Meyer

Hi,

If I have several users in different cities, such as Hong Kong, Beijing,
New York and the main database is saved in London. How do the users can
input the data to the access file in London.
Shall I save the database in SQL sever? but How can the clients in
different cities connect to the SQL sever?
Thank you very much!

The 2 best (but most expensive) solutions:

1. ASP pages connected to the Access database. (or ColdFusion pages)
2. A Terminal server.

Of the 2, I prefer the terminal server as there are fewer things to go
wrong.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
Microsoft Access
Free Access downloads:
http://www.datastrat.com
http://www.mvps.org/access

Ask a Question