Access Access 2007 Report Question

Reaction score
Building a database and I've got most of it figured out so far. However, I'm stuck on this one part. I've got a table with all the info I need in it and now I want to generate a birthday list with a specific layout. I built a query to pull first name, last name, and birthday but I don't want the birth year to show in the report, just the month and the day. Then I would like to sort them by the month. Is this possible or should I redesign the table so that the month and the day are in one field and the year is in another?

Reaction score
Without trying it, I have the following advice, if you need me to ellaborate, I can build a simple database to try it and explain further.
I would add a separate field to the query that shows just the month. Then on the report, I would add grouping, and group the report by Month and sort it in Ascending Month order that way. If you need further explaination of this, let me know.

Reaction score
Ok, that made sense for sorting by month. What can I do about the birth year though? It still shows up in the report and I want it hidden.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that can be done with a custom format that only includes the Day or Month, or even only the Day, but I'll have to play around with it to tell you for sure.

Reaction score
Got it, I think. If you just want to show the days or months, or whatever, you just need to go into the properties (Alt+Enter with the text box selected) for the text box that shows the dates, and go to the format tab. Type in how you want the date to look using m and d placeholders.

mm for 2 digit month
dd for 2 digit year
m/dd for month/2 digit year
mm/dd for 2 digit month/2 digit year

and so on. Let me know if that clears it up!

Reaction score
Got it! Thanks! It's working good now!

Edit:

Formatting works fine but I just noticed my query isn't pulling all the information I wanted. -sigh- Why me?

Last edited:
Reaction score
With queries missing data, I find the best way to find the problem is to start a new query with all the required fields and no criteria, and see what you get. If you see the data that's missing there, then there's a problem with the criteria. If you don't see the missing data there, there is probably a problem with the database relationships (usually a bad join). Let me know if that sets you on the right path, otherwise, give some more info about what's going wrong with the query and I'll see if I can help.

Reaction score
I'll have to upload a sample database when I get back to work so you can see it. I don't know how to explain it clearly.

Ask a Question