Access 2002 Report Wizard problem

G

Hi!
I'm using Access 2002 and trying to create a report from a query, using the ReportWizard. If I select the "Columnar" or "Tabular" layouts from the wizard, it works fine.

But if I select "Justified" layout, I get a popup "The wizard is unable to create your report". It gives me NO information as to WHY it couldn't create it. Access "Help" is worthless, and the Microsoft KnowledgeBase online has apparently never heard of a ReportWizard in connection with "justified layout".

I've narrowed it down to a simple test case: A query just pulls two simple fields from a simple table; nothing fancy, no calculated fields. The query alone works fine, and the table itself is fine.

In the Report Wizard, I specify: both fields from the query, no grouping, sort by first field, Justified layout, ANY orientation and style, check the box for "adjust field width...", give it a name ("xyz" for this test), and select "Preview...". Then I hit "Finish" and get the popup error.

It also opens a minimized window for a Report in DesignView with:
- a width of 22".
- EMPTY 6" high Report Header&Footer & Page Header&Footer.
- 0.25" high Detail section with Label&Textbox for ONE field (the sort field), both placed at exactly the same spot so they completely overlap.
- NO sign of the second field from the query anywhere on the report.

SAME error if I tell ReportWizard to use fields directly from the table (instead of the query), or if I make it look at different fields in a different table entirely. It seems to be the "Justified" layout that is broken.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong with "Justified" layout in Access 2002?
Have any of you folks seen the same behavior?? Or is it just my installation?
Is it a known problem?
Is there a solution? (Something besides just "Don't use Justified layout.") Already did the Compact&Repair numerous times.

Thanks for any ideas/help!
Mike

G

Hmm,

Perhaps it's because I have no printer installed/defined in my Windows XP system??

Digging through Microsoft's online KB, I found an article (295358) about new features in Access 2002:

BEGINQUOTE
In earlier versions of Access, you cannot design reports, view reports in Print or Layout preview, convert databases, or use the Datasheet Font dialog box without a default printer installed. This is because the device context information is required to determine fonts, page sizes and margins.

Logic has been added to Access 2002 to allow you to perform these four functions regardless of whether or not a printer is installed. This is accomplished by using default values for settings such as page size and screen fonts.
ENDQUOTE

They say Access 2002 -CAN- do those things. Maybe they just didn't fix the Report Wizard working with the Justified layout?

Anyone have any input?

Thanks!
Mike

D

Douglas J. Steele

Does it work if you define a printer? Remember that the printer doesn't have
to be physically attached. If you don't want to specify a physical printer,
you can always install one of the "virtual PDF printers", such as the free
one available at http://www.cutepdf.com

G

Hi!
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know I could install a printer without having
one for the wizard to physically find. I'll see what
I can do.

Thanks!
Mike

G

Yep,
The lack of a printer "selection" was the problem.

I added a printer (I didn't know I could do that
when none is connected) and the Justified layout
in the Report Wizard works just fine.

Thanks!
Mike

Ask a Question