about PCI video cards...

franciz3

ok... im not sure if i am on the right newsgroup but i am going to ask
my question anyway...

well.. i am thinking of buying a new pci video card either online or
any nearest electronic stores (most likely online for cheaper prices)
because i have a built in graphic card and i dont have a video card
slot on my motherboard (AGP slot i think is what you guys call it). I
want to upgrade it because i play world of warcraft and the game isnt
smoth as its supposed to be. The frames kinda skips everytime i run
around in the game... plus if im on a major area with bunch of players
in it, it definitely skips big time.. It's still good tho... it's
playable.. ive actually been playing this game on this computer for
3..4.. months now... I'm tired of going to my friends house to play
world of warcraft for smoothier gameplay, so i decided to upgrade my
video card which hopefully solve my problem. Since i dont have a video
card slot in my motherboard... the only video card upgrade i can think
of is PCI video cards.... I am planning to buy a 256mb pci video card
(not sure of the brand yet). But are they worth buying? will it make
my world of warcraft gameplay smooth? If i do buy it, what happens to
my built in video card? will it add up the MB of the old one to the new
one?? am i gonna hav to disable the old one? ......... is there a way
to make my old graphic card faster than before???

My computer Info:

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Built-in graphic card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphic card (64
mb)
DDR RAM = 256mb + 512mb
Computer: HP Pavilion a305w (i know it sux)
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.70 ghz
Motherboard: ( i dont know how to check sorry )

please reply and help... need info before i buy it. thanks in advance
:-D

spodosaurus

ok... im not sure if i am on the right newsgroup but i am going to ask
my question anyway...

well.. i am thinking of buying a new pci video card either online or
any nearest electronic stores (most likely online for cheaper prices)
because i have a built in graphic card and i dont have a video card
slot on my motherboard (AGP slot i think is what you guys call it).

I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you, but you appear to be
a bit of a novice with computer hardware. Yes, it is called an AGP slot,
but you must be very careful when you purchase a PCI video card if
you're unfamiliar with terminology like this. There's PCI, and then
there's PCIe, and the two are VERY different (ie - one will not work in
the other!). I'd estimate that your computer is a couple of years old,
yes? In that case, it'll require a PCI video card and not one the brand
new PCIe cards.
want to upgrade it because i play world of warcraft and the game isnt
smoth as its supposed to be.

What brand of computer are you using? It sounds like a brand name, given
that it's motherboard does not have an AGP slot.
The frames kinda skips everytime i run
around in the game... plus if im on a major area with bunch of players
in it, it definitely skips big time.. It's still good tho... it's
playable.. ive actually been playing this game on this computer for
3..4.. months now...

Even a basic video card, like an ATi 9250 or Nvidia 6200 based card,
will be better than what's onboard. However, you pay a premium for PCI
assuming you can get it. You will likely be best off ordering online.
Which country are you in? The GPUs I listed above are VERY basic, and
more powerful cards (which don't cost all that much more for some
midrange cards) are a much better bet, but their availability in PCI is
doubtful (though they will likely be available in PCIe format, and this
is probably NOT what you want).
I'm tired of going to my friends house to play
world of warcraft for smoothier gameplay, so i decided to upgrade my
video card which hopefully solve my problem. Since i dont have a video
card slot in my motherboard... the only video card upgrade i can think
of is PCI video cards.... I am planning to buy a 256mb pci video card
(not sure of the brand yet). But are they worth buying? will it make
my world of warcraft gameplay smooth?

Unless there's another bottleneck or a software issue, it'll improve
things a lot over the onboard shared memmory graphics.
If i do buy it, what happens to
my built in video card?

You'll want to enter BIOS and, depending on your BIOS, set the first
display to PCI (you may also be able to disable the onboard video and
thus increase available system RAM).
will it add up the MB of the old one to the new
one??

What? You're buying a new motherboard, too??
am i gonna hav to disable the old one? ......... is there a way
to make my old graphic card faster than before???

The onboard graphics are slow, and the only way to potentially improve
their performance is to turn off graphics features of the game (I'm
assuming you already have the latest drivers and DirectX.
My computer Info:

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Built-in graphic card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphic card (64
mb)
DDR RAM = 256mb + 512mb
Computer: HP Pavilion a305w (i know it sux)
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.70 ghz
Motherboard: ( i dont know how to check sorry )

It'll be printed on the board usually.
please reply and help... need info before i buy it. thanks in advance
:-D

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about 31 Dec 2005 02:41:39 -0800, in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of
(e-mail address removed) spewed the following:

|ok... im not sure if i am on the right newsgroup but i am going to ask
|my question anyway...
|
|well.. i am thinking of buying a new pci video card either online or
|any nearest electronic stores (most likely online for cheaper prices)
|because i have a built in graphic card and i dont have a video card
|slot on my motherboard (AGP slot i think is what you guys call it). I
|want to upgrade it because i play world of warcraft and the game isnt
|smoth as its supposed to be. The frames kinda skips everytime i run
|around in the game... plus if im on a major area with bunch of players
|in it, it definitely skips big time.. It's still good tho... it's
|playable.. ive actually been playing this game on this computer for
|3..4.. months now... I'm tired of going to my friends house to play
|world of warcraft for smoothier gameplay, so i decided to upgrade my
|video card which hopefully solve my problem. Since i dont have a video
|card slot in my motherboard... the only video card upgrade i can think
|of is PCI video cards.... I am planning to buy a 256mb pci video card
|(not sure of the brand yet). But are they worth buying? will it make
|my world of warcraft gameplay smooth? If i do buy it, what happens to
|my built in video card? will it add up the MB of the old one to the new
|one?? am i gonna hav to disable the old one? ......... is there a way
|to make my old graphic card faster than before???
|
|My computer Info:
|
|OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
|Built-in graphic card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphic card (64
|mb)
|DDR RAM = 256mb + 512mb
|Computer: HP Pavilion a305w (i know it sux)
|Processor: Intel Celeron 2.70 ghz
|Motherboard: ( i dont know how to check sorry )
|
|please reply and help... need info before i buy it. thanks in advance

The card will improve your game play and will be a worthwhile
investment but do not expect dazzling performance, you box was not
intended to for multimedia or gaming.
--

-nos1eep

One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theory”
to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd
of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when
the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back
that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd
as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group
keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In
much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know,
kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest
brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer
eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and
more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after
a few beers.

Graham

ok... im not sure if i am on the right newsgroup but i am going to ask my
question anyway...

well.. i am thinking of buying a new pci video card either online or any
nearest electronic stores (most likely online for cheaper prices) because
i have a built in graphic card and i dont have a video card slot on my
motherboard (AGP slot i think is what you guys call it). I want to
[snippy-snip]

disable the old one? ......... is there a way to make my old graphic card
faster than before???

My computer Info:

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 Built-in graphic card:
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphic card (64 mb) DDR RAM = 256mb + 512mb
Computer: HP Pavilion a305w (i know it sux) Processor: Intel Celeron
2.70 ghz Motherboard: ( i dont know how to check sorry )
I still a little shocked that a system with a CPU of that speed has no AGP
slot. Ah well.

You will need to go into the BIOS of your machine and make sure that the
Onboard graphics can be switched off.

You can still get PCI graphics cards, but they are few and far between now.
Their performance is well below that of modern AGP and PCIe (note the 'e')
cards, but having said that, the Ati 9250 is still much better than the
onboard devices.
Visit:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...1137&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11137,40832&v=1

None in stock at the moment, but should be in a few days.
Cheers!

Bill D.

[...]

Your computer uses the 'Asus P4G533-LA/P4G533-GL' Motherboard.
You will find that the GeForce MX 4000 works very well with
the hp configuration you have.
If you are installing PCI Graphics, make sure that you first
disable the onboard Intel Graphics. Then shut down your machine
and install your new PCI card. If you do not proceed in this
manner, on reboot, you will have no display.
You may want to go to a more modern card, but the GeForce PCI
works very well.

As someone else said, DO NOT purchase a PCI-E card. You can't
use it.

--
"ACK",
Bill D.

bgd

Do not bother with pci vid card.
I have same chipset on an overclockable board. The onboard intel video with
1gb ram is as good as it gets(shares system memory).
I went and got the biggest baddest pci vid cards i could find(i stubbornly
got two of them over a period of a year that i ran with the 82845 chipset, I
returned them.). It does not improve anything, In fact some things got
worse....
I hope I didnt ruin your optimism... 33 mhz pci is just that as 32 bit is
to 32 bit. In other words, big numbers in wrong places don't do a dang thing
to help you.
For cost of card, swap your stuff onto a board that can (I did!)
8x AGP is very nice :)
Barry

MixMasterJ

I don't have time to look up info for you on too much or to read all the
replies you have had thus far. However, I will tell you based on what little
info you have given absolutely do not buy a 256mb video card. Not only will
it be wasted on your system because of its slow cache and slow front side
bus speed and slow memory, I doubt very seriously your power supply
(computer battery) will run a 256mb video card. You can try to buy a 128mb
Geforce 6600 but it will need to be "pci" and not "agp" because your
computer does not have an agp. The first thing you need to do is take your
computer apart and see what the watts are on your comp's power supply. Then
go to Newegg.com and do a search for 128mb Geforce pci. You can get one for
less than $100 now.

It is sad to tell you that even with this new card you will not be able to
run the new games that are coming out now with all their settings on high.
Others you won't be able to run at all without some fram skips.

If you don't have a friend that swears he knows how to install a video card,
look for some tutorials online. You also need to know how to go into bios to
figure out how to turn off your onboard video.

First, install your new video card, then go into bios with the monitor still
attached to your old video card so you can change the settings to pci video
and turn off your on board video. Then save the bios settings and continue
to boot up. Your screen will probably be blank. Turn off the comp, connect
the monitor to your new video card and boot up.

bgd said:
Do not bother with pci vid card.
I have same chipset on an overclockable board. The onboard intel video with
1gb ram is as good as it gets(shares system memory).
I went and got the biggest baddest pci vid cards i could find(i stubbornly
got two of them over a period of a year that i ran with the 82845 chipset, I
returned them.). It does not improve anything, In fact some things got
worse....
I hope I didnt ruin your optimism... 33 mhz pci is just that as 32 bit is
to 32 bit. In other words, big numbers in wrong places don't do a dang thing
to help you.
For cost of card, swap your stuff onto a board that can (I did!)
8x AGP is very nice :)
Barry

Interesting. I had the exact opposite result. With a gig of
RAM, I even found everyday drudge work slow. I actually
experienced observable delays even when displaying in Windows
Explorer. I change to the MX 4000 and all that went away. I
must admit, however, that I am not a "gamer" and have no idea
what the results would be in that type of world. I just assumed
that if I could actually notice a difference in real life
operations then that improvement would carry over into the game
world. Guess I was wrong. :)

--
"ACK",
Bill D.
" Now just look..... they're burning the `Porta-Potties' "
........ OPUS

Bill D.

MixMasterJ said:
I see somebody mentioned the geforce 4400mx to you. That would be a good
card for you, although finding them in pci is going to be very hard. Newegg
is out and has only AGP, as do alot of other sites I looked at. But here is
one for $40. It is the only one they got. The other 25 or so cards they have
are AGP.
Also here.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...cs&searchSection=20012961|PCs&go.x=23&go.y=14

--
"ACK",
Bill D.
" Now just look..... they're burning the `Porta-Potties' "
........ OPUS

John Doe

According to my server, this is the fourth post in a row to this
group which was top posted and posted in reply to a reply author but
addressed to the original author (two of the four replies
are clearly from the same author).

Well, it could be a record.

spodosaurus

bgd said:
Do not bother with pci vid card.
I have same chipset on an overclockable board. The onboard intel video with
1gb ram is as good as it gets(shares system memory).

It's not the memmory, it's the GPU, and that intel onboard one can't
even play some games. It's shite and designed for 2D desktop
applications, not 3D WoW gaming.
I went and got the biggest baddest pci vid cards i could find(i stubbornly
got two of them over a period of a year that i ran with the 82845 chipset, I
returned them.). It does not improve anything, In fact some things got
worse....
I hope I didnt ruin your optimism... 33 mhz pci is just that as 32 bit is
to 32 bit. In other words, big numbers in wrong places don't do a dang thing
to help you.
For cost of card, swap your stuff onto a board that can (I did!)
8x AGP is very nice :)

Current games do not use more than 4x AGP bandwidth, so the 8x AGP
bandwidth is wasted futureprofing considering AGP will be gone soon
enough as it is replaced with PCI-e.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

MixMasterJ

You sure are a nasty troll. Why do you keep hounding people and screwing up
threads? You are the most annoying and petty little kid I have ever seen in
this newsgroup.

I would love to know how you keep getting through my filters, but I am sure
I will figure it out soon though. Too bad your cidr and news server is so
common, or I would have had you fixed a long time ago.

John Doe

Bill D. said:
Interesting. I had the exact opposite result. With a gig of RAM,
I even found everyday drudge work slow. I actually experienced
observable delays even when displaying in Windows Explorer. I
change to the MX 4000 and all that went away. I must admit,
however, that I am not a "gamer" and have no idea what the results
would be in that type of world. I just assumed that if I could
actually notice a difference in real life operations then that
improvement would carry over into the game world. Guess I was
wrong. :)

It's easy to imagine (I did too) that a PCI card with the same name
as a modern AGP card will do gaming well, and then be disappointed.
Then again, a spare video card can be used to drive a secondary
monitor. It wouldn't necessarily be a waste if it's cheap,
especially if the next mainboard accepts it.

bgd

Hey!
Seriously!
You want your AGP sized predicament to resolve, Get An AGP slotted MB
(at least 4x or pci-e)!
If your stuck with a 33 mhz pci slot only, get out of the early 90's
and upgrade. I learned the expensive way to ignore the sales babble.
Motherboards now are hanging on to a longevity (time before upgrade)
*if* you get at least 4x agp and ddr and other things I dont need to
mention. Hell, I'd still be running a 900 Athlon if it could handle the fast
ram and agp out now!
Dont fall into the abyss of a pc's contentment, Rip it apart! throw
things in the ocean! Build Build! Build!

spodosaurus

bgd said:
Hey!
Seriously!
You want your AGP sized predicament to resolve, Get An AGP slotted MB
(at least 4x or pci-e)!

Will his HP case and PSU accept a new standard ATX motherboard? There
are still plenty available new for his CPU and 20 pin PSU. They're quite
cheap now, too, and may even have more features (network, better sound,
and extra usb2 ports). If this is a viable option, go this route and get
an AGP card. The money you save on the AGP card will offset the extra
you'll have to spend to get the exact same card in PCI format. Just make
sure you buy some thermal compound to put on your CPU when you switch
boards. Instructions for applying it can be found on this newsgroup
repeatedly from over the last couple of years.

Ari
If your stuck with a 33 mhz pci slot only, get out of the early 90's
and upgrade. I learned the expensive way to ignore the sales babble.
Motherboards now are hanging on to a longevity (time before upgrade)
*if* you get at least 4x agp and ddr and other things I dont need to
mention. Hell, I'd still be running a 900 Athlon if it could handle the fast
ram and agp out now!
Dont fall into the abyss of a pc's contentment, Rip it apart! throw
things in the ocean! Build Build! Build!

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

No One

spodosaurus said:
I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you, but you appear to be
a bit of a novice with computer hardware. Yes, it is called an AGP slot,
but you must be very careful when you purchase a PCI video card if
you're unfamiliar with terminology like this. There's PCI, and then
there's PCIe, and the two are VERY different (ie - one will not work in
the other!). I'd estimate that your computer is a couple of years old,
yes? In that case, it'll require a PCI video card and not one the brand
new PCIe cards.

And there is also PCIx, which is a 64 bit slot usually found in servers.
There is also a PCI Express.

If the mobo doesn't have at least an AGP slot, I would seriously
consider upgrading it as well.

franciz3

whoaw... i woke up and checked my computer....and theres bunch of
replies on this topic... :-D THANKS all...

well first.. i checked my BIOS and i found this:

Onboard Video Memory: set to 8mb (options: 8mb and 1mb)
Primary Video Adapter: set to PCI (options: PCI and Onboard) (weird..
isnt this suppose to be set to onboard???)

ok.. so don't get 256mb pci video card because my comp can't handle
it... and also... dont buy/install PCIe's... because they're new. and
my computer is old... ?

I know my computer sucks and it's not made for hardcore gaming.... once
i get my pci video card i am not expecting huge difference... but i am
expecting lil better performance than before... lil smoother world of
warcraft gameplay... hopefully.

another question... is there a way for me to add a AGP slot on my
motherboard??? or am i gonna have to do buy a new motherboard for
that??

franciz3

oh ya.. i'm thinking of replacing my 256 ram to another 512 to make it
a gig of ram... hehe.. i know this is off topic. but i'm a noob.

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about 31 Dec 2005 12:48:10 -0800, in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of
(e-mail address removed) spewed the following:

|whoaw... i woke up and checked my computer....and theres bunch of
|replies on this topic... :-D THANKS all...
|
|well first.. i checked my BIOS and i found this:
|
|Onboard Video Memory: set to 8mb (options: 8mb and 1mb)
|Primary Video Adapter: set to PCI (options: PCI and Onboard) (weird..
|isnt this suppose to be set to onboard???)
|
|ok.. so don't get 256mb pci video card because my comp can't handle
|it... and also... dont buy/install PCIe's... because they're new. and
|my computer is old... ?

PCI Express requires a special slot, you do not have one.

|I know my computer sucks and it's not made for hardcore gaming.... once
|i get my pci video card i am not expecting huge difference... but i am
|expecting lil better performance than before... lil smoother world of
|warcraft gameplay... hopefully.

Go ahead and get one, you will be pleased, not delighted, but pleased.
You will enjoy improved game play.

|another question... is there a way for me to add a AGP slot on my
|motherboard??? or am i gonna have to do buy a new motherboard for
|that??

No, you cannot add an AGP slot, if you do get a new motherboard, it
will have to be micro ATX to fit into your case.