A spring clean at the tail end of summer

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Took my main rig out on the balcony today and gave it a clean.

Took some pix (Nikon Coolpix S500).

Here's a few.

PS: CPU temp now 29C on idle in a warm room, prior to clean it was 38C.

It does make a difference. Although I have to admit those figures seem extreme. Strange.

Anyhoo, the pix, this is the inside of my main machine, detailed in my sig. Yes, I know the cables are untidy, but what the hell ;)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

This is a Noctua 120mm fan, one of which comes with the Noctua coolers. This one is fitted to side of Antec 900 case, cooling grafix card.

Best fans I've ever bought :thumb:

007.jpg

And finally the cleaning tools.I used a paintbrush to loosen dust but pictured here are vacum cleaner and air bed inflator pump. The vacum cleaner sucks up the dirt and dust, the blower loosens it.

Yes, that Vax is about twenty years old at least, it just keeps going and works well. Have thought about buying a new machine but this one is good, so why bother?

Certainly works better and is more reliable than a Dyson.And I know this, believe me ;)

Final pic:

008.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Are those your eyes reflecting in the graphics card.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
:p

I'm impressed with the air bed inflator pump.
bowdown.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Are those your eyes reflecting in the graphics card.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
:p

I'm impressed with the air bed inflator pump.
bowdown.gif

Sussed :eek:

And that's only after five pints, you should see me after ten...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I really am going to have to buy one of those cameras, i have a Sony Cybershot and the image clarity and detail close up is nothing like that Nikon.

I want i want i want i want i want!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Nice pics for such a camera...As for the Vac, we have one to and they are fantastic..But ast for using it to clean out a PC, erm i'd go for gentle blowing rather than high speed sucking..Static etc...And when it comes to using brushes, if you are going, try go for camel hair brushed..Yes very expensive..But static can be a lot more expensive...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Nice pics for such a camera...As for the Vac, we have one to and they are fantastic..But ast for using it to clean out a PC, erm i'd go for gentle blowing rather than high speed sucking..Static etc...And when it comes to using brushes, if you are going, try go for camel hair brushed..Yes very expensive..But static can be a lot more expensive...

I've been using that method to clean computers for twelve years now and never had an accident caused by static. I don't use a wrist strap or anti static mat either.

Other than computers I've also been using that method to clean out a variety of projectors, amplifiers and other audio visual items when repairing them. Have also replaced may IC's in audio visual equipment without killing them through static.

A quick brush of my hand on a radiator pipe is the only precaution I take as static build up in the human body rarely occurs unless you're wearing synthetic footwear and/or walking on nylon or synthetic carpets. Or travelling in some cars.

The cleaning brush I use isn't actually a paintbrush, it's a dedicated cleaning brush from RS, made for exactly the purpose I'm using it for. A camel hair brush may be fine for a camera lens but is quite useless for shifting dust build up from a fan blade, for example.

I do know what I'm doing MadX, I've been repairing, building and messing with AV and computer equipment for 23 years now :)

And thanks, everybody, for the comments.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a very clean PC :nod:

I use the same method myself, and works much better than the little vacuum cleaners you can get for PCs. :thumb:

I've noticed that your blanking plates at the back have holes in them? Did they come with your case like that to improve airflow?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I've noticed that your blanking plates at the back have holes in them? Did they come with your case like that to improve airflow?

Yes, that's how the Antec 900 comes, with punched holes in the blanking plates.

It also has holes in the rear of the case with perforated plastic inserts to take water cooling pipes should you so desire (they can be seen in the first pic).

The 900 attracts a lot less dust than my Antec Sonata, the Sonata regularly gets quite clogged and needs cleaning more frequently.

Reaction score
My appologies Flopps.That wasn't aimed at you..Aimed more at the inexperienced person that reads somebody elses post and dive in without thinking..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
My appologies Flopps.That wasn't aimed at you..Aimed more at the inexperienced person that reads somebody elses post and dive in without thinking..

No need to apologise mon ami ;)

It's just that I see it time and time again, this over reacting to the static threat. It's taken from the manufacturer's and suppliers guidelines but the reality is how I've outlined it.

Yes, there is a risk, but it's a minor one.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I got thoroughly inspired by this thread, so gave both rigs a jolly good clean-up this morning. For what it's worth, I used an artist's paintbrush, (flexible, with a nice long handle to get at the fiddly bits,) Dyson to suck (carefully) a "Fluffy Duster" very soft, which got into empty bays and the "floor" of the case... and also used the radiator method of discharging any static. So far, so good, all seems to be working okay :thumb: :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I got thoroughly inspired by this thread, so gave both rigs a jolly good clean-up this morning. For what it's worth, I used an artist's paintbrush, (flexible, with a nice long handle to get at the fiddly bits,) Dyson to suck (carefully) a "Fluffy Duster" very soft, which got into empty bays and the "floor" of the case... and also used the radiator method of discharging any static. So far, so good, all seems to be working okay :thumb: :D

:D Jolly good show :D

:thumb:

Reaction score
It's funny how you mentioned this. My machine needs a good vacuum out aswell. Actually crossed my mind yesterday to completely strip the entire machine including all 7 Hdd's and PSU and give it a damn good clean out. I strip all fans aswell as shown in my tut a while ago and lube all the spindles up before assembling the entire machine back to working order. Also use a soft paintbrush for the little nooks and crannies like inbetween the Capacitors and other componants you cant really get to properly with a nozzle

Takes a long long time about 6 hours in total to do everything but its well worth it considering the amount of time inbetween now and its next clean and the performance issues its solves.

Dont know if i can be bothered starting ti now though..hmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice pictures there as per usual they look amazing.

Rig looks similar to what I am about to build look at the size of that graphics card and the CPU fan is gigantic.

Reaction score
We used to have a VAX exactly like that damn that is bringing back memories! It aint half loud.

Do you still put your keyboard in fairy liquid?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Do you still put your keyboard in fairy liquid?

:lol:

All the time, all the time...... :D

You have a long memory, hehe

Once I spilt red wine all over a Logi Multi Media keyboard, took it apart and immersed all parts bar the pcb into a bath full of water with fairy liquid in it.

Let it soak, cleaned it, dried it and reassembled. And it worked.

Still have it, actually, albeit boxed and as a spare.

Don't try this at home folks ;)

Reaction score
Tell me once and I never forget! :) I have taken my keyboard apart many times thinking of your Fairy Liquid gimmicks but there are lots of electrical buttons on the top. So I just brush it clean and leave the Fairy in the sink. :)

Reaction score
LOL I do that aswell. Nowt wrong with a bit of fairy liquid.

Of course you should always take the keyboard apart first and make sure its dry before you reasemble it ;)

Works a treat huh Flops ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Tell me once and I never forget! :) I have taken my keyboard apart many times thinking of your Fairy Liquid gimmicks but there are lots of electrical buttons on the top. So I just brush it clean and leave the Fairy in the sink. :)

Your into stamps and have a fairy in the sink !! Is there something you would like to share with us matey.

laughingsmiley.gif