Lowering temps the easy way

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just discovered, after 13 months, that I can unclip and remove the front cover of my Antec SX1030 case. :crazy:

When I took it off it was a bit of a horror story. I have two 80mm Evercool fans at the front of the case, blowing in. Covering each of the case fan apertures was an incredibly thick layer of dust, accumulated over a year. Yuk.

A quick zoom around with the Mr Henry vacum cleaner and the use of some Amberclens foaming cleanser, all was pristine.

Earlier today, my CPU temp was 47C. After cleaning, temp now holding steady at 44C (running UD - 100% CPU usage). Am I ever surprised :eek:

Only down side is that the dust was acting as a sound dampener, I'm acutley aware of those fan's operation now, I can hear them.

Of course, when the case front was off I noticed I had access to the power LED, so I've got me's a nice blue one now :D

Seems sometimes the little things can make a big difference...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have the exact same case, and I'm just looking at it now :eek: The dust!!!

Most of mine has accumulated at the bottom of the case, I've got 1 in and 2 out fans (maybe not the best arrangement thinking about it). I think I need an upgrade soon, and I might change the case, I've had the same PC virtually untouched for 2 years :crazy:

Reaction score
Polar Worries

Don't some vacuums emit magnetic fields? Not a huge problem, but a good thing to watch out for. What I use for cleaning is a nice can of compressed air that I got at my local computer stop, which is great for cleaning out all the nooks and crannies on my motherboard (especially the heatsink).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
EP:

I don't think there will be a magnetic field present at the end of a vacum cleaner extension hose with brush attachment but there will very likely be static.

I've used a vacum cleaner to clean electronic appliances for years and have never suffered a problem.

I do sometimes take a box outside to use compressed air though, must admit it's sometimes the only way to reach those difficult locations.

Reaction score
If you want to stop the dust problems, then just vacuum next to your computer daily and don't smoke! Smoking's bad mmmkay? and it clogs the fans...mmmkay? Also, if you aren't overclocking then just turn the fans off, stop more dust getting in, temps go up a little, but at least it's quieter!

-Pete

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
All my case fans are no problem on two of my PC's ,the deltas drown them out :D

wildone

Ask a Question