A Speech

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A Speech

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place,

which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.

Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.

Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.

I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.
Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go" !

Speech made by Oliver Cromwell to MP's in Parliament

20 April 1653

This is not a post about party politics or Brexit, it is just a comment about our present day Parliament. Come back Oliver Cromwell.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Old warty face did have at least one thing in his favour then.

What would the world have been like if the long haired cavaliers had won the day. Sadly they were beaten into submission after an epic struggle.

CIVIL WAR - YORKSHIRE AREAS

Siege of Hull, 1642: Charles the 1st’s unsuccessful siege of the city - a major port possessing a large arsenal - sparked off a full-scale war.

Battle of Leeds, 23 January 1643: Amid a heavy snowstorm, battle raged for more than three hours in the afternoon. The victorious Parliamentarians took around 500 prisoners.

Battle of Seacroft Moor, 30 March 1643: This was a serious blow for parliamentary forces. Fairfax, their commander, was quoted calling it “the greatest loss we ever received”.

Capture of Wakefield, 21 May 1643: A parliamentary victory which temporarily changed the balance of power in Yorkshire after they surprised the Royalist garrison.

Adwalton Moor, near Bradford, 30 June 1643: The strong Royalists defeated the parliamentarians, even though they had 3-4,000 men around Bradford.

Second Siege of Hull, September to October 1643: A victory for parliament at the high point of the Royalist campaign - and led to them re-establishing themselves in Yorkshire.

Battle of Selby, April 1644: A parliamentarian victory over the Royalists, which importantly opened the road from Hull to York for them.

The Siege of York, April to July 1644: A prolonged battle for supremacy, leading to Fairfax being made Governor of York by parliament.

Battle of Marston Moor - 2 July 1644: The Royalists lost what was reportedly the biggest battle in British history - and Oliver Cromwell called it “an absolute victory obtained by God’s blessing”.

Great Siege of Scarborough Castle: The Castle was bombarded for five months by parliamentarians, there was brutal conflict then the defenders finally caved in.

:cool:

Ask a Question