a serious question

slumpy

Just got the install disk for Linspire and just wondered - if I forego the
long-established procedure of using Windows and the regular head-on-wall
bangings that go with it, and install Linux, will I go all...you know,
/weird/ ??

I just don't want to look like Buddy Holly in a badly-fitting hooded nylon
top, that's all. Not that there's anything wrong with Buddy Holly, if you
are wearing the eyepatches, but I'd rather preserve my hunky good looks, my
so-out-of-date-it's-almost-back-in haircut and not have to go through the
acne stage again.

Please advise.
--
slumpy
no more

Boomer

Just got the install disk for Linspire and just wondered - if I
forego the long-established procedure of using Windows and the
regular head-on-wall bangings that go with it, and install Linux,
will I go all...you know, /weird/ ??

I just don't want to look like Buddy Holly in a badly-fitting
hooded nylon top, that's all. Not that there's anything wrong with
Buddy Holly, if you are wearing the eyepatches, but I'd rather
preserve my hunky good looks, my
so-out-of-date-it's-almost-back-in haircut and not have to go
through the acne stage again.

Please advise.

You'll be fantastic no matter what. :)

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Boomer decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
You'll be fantastic no matter what. :)

Maybe I should start with the eyebrows first http://tinyurl.com/3c3rc
--
slumpy
no more

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Boomer decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
Blue is a nice color. :)

Yeah, that lightly /bruised/ look is in fashion around here. Don't know why
the women only wear it on one eye tho....
--
slumpy
no more

boon

slumpy said:
Just got the install disk for Linspire and just wondered - if I forego the
long-established procedure of using Windows and the regular head-on-wall
bangings that go with it, and install Linux, will I go all...you know,
/weird/ ??
Those in the Linux circle seem to loathe Lindows. Apparently a lot of 3rd
party linux stuff either doesnt run or runs really sluggish on it. It has
something to do with them wanting u to subscribe and download everything
from their CNR or whatever it was.

HTH.

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel boon decided it
was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
Those in the Linux circle seem to loathe Lindows. Apparently a lot of
3rd party linux stuff either doesnt run or runs really sluggish on
it. It has something to do with them wanting u to subscribe and
download everything from their CNR or whatever it was.

Well it didn't work - I got the CD, and they got nuffink !
--
slumpy
no more

Blinky the Shark

Those in the Linux circle seem to loathe Lindows. Apparently a lot of 3rd
party linux stuff either doesnt run or runs really sluggish on it. It has
something to do with them wanting u to subscribe and download everything
from their CNR or whatever it was.

I would've mentioned the same thing. I've heard both sides; like the IE
apologists ("everboddy uses it its grate hee hee lol !!!"), there's an
"its kewl" contingent; but there is also resistance to the $100/year (or
whatever it is now) subscribe-to-our-software plan, and an undercurrent
feeling that it's not "real" Linux. As for me, something about it reminds
me of AOL.

dszady

...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Boomer decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

Back to [OT], you little cross-posters.
If you change over to Linux you will still suffer from the head-banging,
Metallica-loving and the Pepperoni worshipping that you do now. But it
will just fade away as you get used to it, yourself and the horse you rode
in on.
The concept of using Linux isn't hard. It's teliing yourself that "this
isn't Windows" and the mentality that goes with the years of using it
bring. Just leave Windows on another partition until you refine one task,
then another and another until one thousand years from now the transition
will be complete.
P.S. Please don't forget to change your underwear in the meantime. There
will be others who shall worship you in all your Glory. Praise Jesus!

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel dszady decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Boomer
decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

Back to [OT], you little cross-posters.

I'm not cross.

In fact I distinctly remember smiling when I sent the post, and my
neighbour-with-the-complex can verify that, because she called the Police
about 5 minutes later.

--
slumpy
no more

Boomer

[...]

<waves>

Ben Cooper

Blinky said:
I would've mentioned the same thing. I've heard both sides; like the
IE apologists ("everboddy uses it its grate hee hee lol !!!"),
there's an "its kewl" contingent; but there is also resistance to the
$100/year (or whatever it is now) subscribe-to-our-software plan, and
an undercurrent feeling that it's not "real" Linux. As for me,
something about it reminds me of AOL.

Ugh! Posts from Blinky and Boomer in acf on the same day? I feel
nauseous.

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Ben Cooper
decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
Boomer said:
--[]
Nothing has changed over there.

Maybe you should post this in news:alt.bitterness

Hi Ben

I believe the folks at are missing you.
--
slumpy
no more

Ben Cooper

slumpy said:
...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Ben Cooper
decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
Boomer said:
--[]
Nothing has changed over there.

Maybe you should post this in news:alt.bitterness

Hi Ben

I believe the folks at news:alt.finnicky.bastards are missing you.

That's OK, they have you to make up for it.

John Fitzsimons

Just got the install disk for Linspire and just wondered - if I forego the
long-established procedure of using Windows and the regular head-on-wall
bangings that go with it, and install Linux, will I go all...you know,
/weird/ ??

Only if you forget to put on your penguin suite first.

dszady

After reading the last Langalist, I'm disturbed that Blinky even showed up
here. My God - is that OS really that bad? POKO :(

I read that article (deleted it) but I remember him saying he was on a XP
OS with a brand new sound card. While I was reading it I thought back to
Linux 101, which said that "most older" sound cards(drivers) are supported.
My thinking is since it's open source, the developers have to keep up
with the various devices that need to be supported. I was wondering if he
had even given that a thought. Being the busy man he obviously is, maybe
not. Hopefully the open source dudes will be (are) coming out with their
own stuff for Microsoft to catch up to.
I found that with using Linux on
this six year old machine everything was supported. If a device, in my
case also a sound card, didn't work it was because I had missed something
after the setup (turn up the damn sound on the mixing board). My webcam
was supported, albeit not in the way I wanted it to be but it didn't have
the drivers in Win98 either, which I had to go searching for BTW. Anyway.
In summation, Linux is not as good as it can and will be and is not as bad
as they say it is now.
OK, Not done yet.
This OS is Mandrake 9.2 D/Led from an FTP site. Hence free. If a person
does their homework it is pretty much a user-friendly install. Next,
anything can be changed later if need be. A lot of the updates are
installations over the old ones. Cool. Most of the accessory programs now
are made archived in different formats. RPM is the easiest. If a program I
want just happens to come in that form Mandrake has an installation
program. PTFB and it works! If it is a "tarball", un-tar it and now it's
an RPM. Like I mentioned to "slumpy" in an earlier thread keep Windows on
another partition. I have an active Win98 partition and another with two
copies of Win98 in it :)
Tomorrows lecture(rant): Linux 102 'Why Linux sucks'.

omega

Ben Cooper said:
Ugh! Posts from Blinky and Boomer in acf on the same day? I feel
nauseous.

When I downloaded headers tonight, I found a flood of dozens of off-topic
posts from Boomer here.

Fortunately, it looks temporary. Someone made the mistake of cross-posting
between ACF and the loose group, 24hoursupport. Hopefully that shall cease
as quickly as it began, so we can be spared a continuation of those mass
off-topic litterings into ACF.