A pint in your local?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How much is it for a pint of lager/beer/ale in your local? When I went back to Newcastle over the weekend it was much cheaper (paid £2.20 for a pint of Spitfire) :nod:

Our local pub in Manchester is about £2.60 for something like Fosters :p , maybe £2.80 for a Stella :thumb:

I'm especially keen on hearing how much it is in London, because I've heard some silly prices quoted before :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Draught Guinness:

Cutty Sark pub: £3.10
Other local pubs: £2.90

Spitfire is around £2.75 locally (SE London)

They're probably both cheaper in Wetherspoons but I hold the dubious distinction of never having entered a Wetherspoons pub... :D

Reaction score
Try a Gold Label in draught Guinness it's wonderful,has to be really cold though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Frodo said:
Try a Gold Label in draught Guinness it's wonderful,has to be really cold though.

Sounds like a plan :)

Mind you, a few of those and I suspect one might gain the horizontal position quite quickly ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
pint of fosters at uni is £2.20, down the local wetherspoons its £2.29 the rileys just up the road from it is £2.75!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
There is a restaurant/bar on the Cleveland Way in North Yorkshire which sells John Smith's Smooth for £1.00 per pint ( yes ! that's £1.00 per pint). :eek:

The lager is £2.00 per pint. As you can imagine it's a very popular spot for hikers and many start and end their walks there including me. I don't know how he does it for the price but I suspect it's a loss leader. The food is half decent too. The place is always busy so the ploy obviously works.

Anyone for walking?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I cringe at teh sound of prices in pubs and clubs. It really annoys me

Most clubs last time i heard buy premium beers like budweiser in bulk for about 70p - 90p per bottle and then sell it on for £3.30 around here. Its outrageous!

I know your talking about draght, but surely that is cheaper again because there is only liquid cost and no recycling needed on packaging

Im glad I dont really drink now.

Had a Kingfisher and a brandy with my curry on thursday night. First drink in over 6months!

Reaction score
To give a comparison, i'm from Edinburgh and my local is a Sam Smith's pub, so it's £1.64 for a pint. When i was in a city centre bar recently i got a pint of Peroni and it cost me £5.20!! Needless to say I left the pub fairly soon after!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I went to see a band at Kokos in Camden recently they were charging £3.40 for one 440ml can of Guinness :eek:

Needless to say I didn't drink many in there.....

Reaction score
Yeah, it was really busy and couldn't hear what she said (to be fair i wasn't really listening) and just handed over a tenner. Got the change back and was like "what the......" I asked how much it was, and when they told me i finished it then left. Should have taken something with me to compensate me in hindsight!! lol.

Reaction score
Did you notice if they had a price list on the wall by the bar?

If they did not a lot you could have done, if the didn't you could have point blank refused and told them no thankyou. However out of courtesy I would have thought if they were good staff and your not being a regular they would have noticed that and told you the price as you ordered it!

Maybe they aint good staff!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
bodhi said:
When i was in a city centre bar recently i got a pint of Peroni and it cost me £5.20!! Needless to say I left the pub fairly soon after!!

Over a fiver :eek: That's crazy! That's the sort of price I've heard people talk about before, but I've never seen that price myself yet.

Peroni is very nice though :D

Reaction score
Can not remember the last pub i bought a drink in, but was probably in Somerset at Christmas.

A local pub does a pint of larger at 99p & pint of bitter at £1.30p until 4pm.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Errrr... Just what is it?

An Italian beer :) Very tasty one too!

peroni.jpg

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Very tasty one too!

peroni.jpg

I should hope so, for that price. :p I'd rather have five pints of John Smith's Smooth. ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, makes you realise the mark up these pubs make on beers now!!

And I don't think there are many good bar staff in these posh bars. They're all too concerned with looking cool and pretending that pouring drinks is a career. One thing that really gets me is when they simply can't remember who was next at the bar, it's part of your job people!! lol. Rant over.

Reaction score
Why is beer so much more expensive, per gallon, than petrol?
Does it come out of a deeper strata within the earth than oil?
I get the feeling that you drinkers are being ripped off.
Historian

Ask a Question