98 clients and network shares

Paul Edwards

I have windows 98 clients on 192.168.1.x network and a file server with
shares on a 2000 AD server on 192.168.6.x

I created a share on the server on the 192.168.6.x network and called the
share "test" and set permissions (set it to everyone for testing purposes).

The windows 98 clients on 192.168.1.x cannot map the share from the
192.168.6.x server. I can ping both IP and hostname with no problem. XP
clients on 192.168.1.x can map the drive with no problem. 98 clients on the
192.168.6.x can map the share with no problem.

It's only the 98 clients on the 192.168.6.x network that have the problem.

It not a share name issue since the share name is test and i'm almost 100%
positive that it's not a DNS issue and it's not a permission issue.

Here are the errors I get.
Then I try to map in DOS...
Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
Make sure you are specifying the conmputer name correctly, or try again
later when the remote computer is available.

In Windows 98
The following error occured while trying to connect
F: to \\servername\test
The share name was not found. Be sure you typed it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Again this is only happening on the 98 clients on the 192.168.1.x network

J.C. Hornbeck [MSFT]

By default Windows 98 clients will try and use NetBIOS name resolution to
resolve names, not DNS. As a test, add an LMHOSTS file on one of the
Windows 98 clients and see if it starts working. Probably the Windows 98
clients on the same segment as the server are working because they will
broadcast for name resolution (assuming we're talking about two different
segments here).

--
J.C. Hornbeck, MCSE
Microsoft Product Support

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Kristin Thomas [MSFT]

Paul,

Since the XP clients in the same subnet can map drives and 98 clients in
the other subnet can map drives we can assume that routing from the .6
network is working and that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the server.

I would be looking at two things, port 139 being blocked at your
router/firewall in between the subnets and NetBIOS name resolution. 98
won't use DNS by default. Can you map to \\<IP Address>? If not, then back
to port 139 being blocked.

Best Regards,

Kristin Thomas, MCSE, MCP
Microsoft Enterprise Network Support

from your issue.

| From: "Paul Edwards" <[email protected]>
| Subject: 98 clients and network shares
| Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:37:02 -0500

| I have windows 98 clients on 192.168.1.x network and a file server with
| shares on a 2000 AD server on 192.168.6.x
|
| I created a share on the server on the 192.168.6.x network and called the
| share "test" and set permissions (set it to everyone for testing
purposes).

| The windows 98 clients on 192.168.1.x cannot map the share from the
| 192.168.6.x server. I can ping both IP and hostname with no problem. XP
| clients on 192.168.1.x can map the drive with no problem. 98 clients on
the
| 192.168.6.x can map the share with no problem.
|
| It's only the 98 clients on the 192.168.6.x network that have the problem.
|
| It not a share name issue since the share name is test and i'm almost 100%
| positive that it's not a DNS issue and it's not a permission issue.
|
| Here are the errors I get.
| Then I try to map in DOS...
| Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be
located.
| Make sure you are specifying the conmputer name correctly, or try again
| later when the remote computer is available.
|
| In Windows 98
| The following error occured while trying to connect
| F: to \\servername\test
| The share name was not found. Be sure you typed it correctly.
|
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks
|
| Paul
|
| Again this is only happening on the 98 clients on the 192.168.1.x network

Paul Edwards

Even if I use the IP address it still won't map.

I am checking on the router also.

Thanks for the help

Kristin Thomas [MSFT]

No problem, Paul. Let us know if you need help further narrowing the
problem.