8800 Ultra Pre Order at OCUK

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BFG GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB

Review here and here

But it is ultimately pointless isn't it......
From the Anandtech review... said:
Often, when reviewing hardware, it is difficult to draw a hard line and state with total confidence that our conclusions are the only logical ones that can be drawn from the facts. We try very hard to eliminate personal opinion from our reviews and provide readers with enough information to form their own educated opinions. We try to point out the downsides of the best products out there, as well as the niche uses for which otherwise disappointing hardware might shine. So often our job is about balance and temperance.

But not this time: The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra is an utter waste of money.

Let's review the facts. First, our performance data shows the 8800 Ultra to perform on par with our EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX KO ACS3. Certainly the 8800 Ultra nudges the EVGA part out of the lead, but the performance difference is minimal at best. The price difference, however, is huge. We can easily find the EVGA card for its retail price of $650, while NVIDIA expects us to pay $180 more for what amounts to a repositioned cooling fan and updated silicon.

Add to that the fact that we've tested over a dozen 8800 GTX parts since their launch last year, and every single card we've tested has reached higher core clock speeds than the 8800 Ultra. We know that increasing core clock speed using nTune causes shader clock speed to increase as well. Setting an 8800 GTX core clock to 621 would give us a shader clock of ~1450MHz, coming close to the 8800 Ultra level. The extra 50MHz increase in shader clock speed won't have a very large impact on performance as we have seen in our clock scaling tests.

specsqa9.jpg

Not for me thanks!
happywave.gif

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's a numbers game ... innit. ;)

Still, my dual-core GPU will out-perform anything on the market, until I get me quad-core GPU that is. :D

I'll be sellin 'em for a measly £1500 ... pre-book now to avoid disappointments.

Special offer for May, buy two and get a third at half price. :thumb:

Call the pre-order hot-line now ... 0870 123 9876 ... calls charged at £10 a min, minimum 10 min call. :D

:user:

Reaction score
haha Mucks :lol:

Not a card for me either.

Stick to my 7950 GT :cool:

Wait 'til the 'numbers game' stops and the prices drop....then i might think about getting a 8 series card.

:D

Reaction score
Haha.

That's always been the way. Remeber Radeon Platnum Editions?

People will always be prepared to pay for bragging rights.

Quite why you would want to brag about being a moron I have no idea.

I'm quite happy with my 7900 thanks :)

Ask a Question