6 mins... No points...

RufusW

King Cruncher
Reaction score
So I'm all signed up and the clock's ticking...but haven't got any points yet...

sounds like an amazing project, very clever, and if we all did it...hmmm....

just wondering about a couple of things...

I presume none of this research is sold off to the highest bidding drugs company... I kinda hate those B**tards...

Does my computer activities take precedent over the WCG? i.e if I'm running a computer game... or video encoding, which i do a fair bit will all the clock cycles be taken over by the activity I'm doing? and the WCG basically cut off?

and i also presume that when I do such things both programs aren't going to force themselves upon the comp and overload it??

V. new to computers, just made this one myself, but thought this was a good little something to be involved in...

was interested in the one that tries to find aliens though... :)

RufusW

p.s - what does the device information bit mean?

Last edited:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Don't panic Rufus, it can take a little while for the system to show, and can take up to 24 hours for things to update on the website.

Yes, your local activitity takes precendence, because the WCG utility runs at one of the lowest priorities, just above the SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS which is designed to suck of surplus resources which the computer doesn't need at the current time.

I dont think the guys at WCG sell of the results to the highest bidder, but I'm sure one of the other members on the forum will be able to confirm either YES or NO. You could look at the WCG website as the answer is bound to be on there somewhere, but it may take a bit of delving.

Good to have you on board the PCR Crunching Team!:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Welcome to the team! I though seti@home seemed like a good idea too, but this has a better goal IMO.

Are you using the UD Agent or BOINC?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Welcome to mad 'crunchers corner' Rufus, :D

I presume none of this research is sold off to the highest bidding drugs company
] No ... no research is 'sold' but when a drug company produce anything as a direct result, will I'm sure, it will entail them 'selling' the drug. Not much we can do about that. However, those results will be aailable to all who wish to use the data. :thumb:

Does my computer activities take precedent over the WCG?
Yes ... anything you do on your PC will force WCG into the background ... there will be no adverse effects on performance. Keep an eye on your temps for the first hour though. :)

Your first results will take around 24hrs to show on the stats ... there really isn't much to do but wait. ;)

Thank you for joining our little group.

Ask a Question