550 5.7.1 error

Calvin.Lai

Can someone tell me what can I do to fix the following error?
-----Original Message-----
From: System Administrator
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 1:53 PM
To: '(e-mail address removed)'
Subject: Undeliverable: test

Subject: test
Sent: 6/30/2005 1:53 PM

'(e-mail address removed)' on 6/30/2005 1:53 PM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=CA;a= ;p=CGI Group
Inc.;l=EXCH01-050630195232Z-20941
MSEXCH:IMS:CGI Group Inc.:CGIAHW01:EXCH01 3550 (000B09AA)
550
5.7.1 Unable to relay for (e-mail address removed)

I am using Outlook client to connect to EXCH01 Exchange 5.5 server in
the CGIAHW01 domain. (e-mail address removed) is an external
email address. We seem to be having trouble sending to anyone in this
domain.com.

Thomas Quester

The message says, that it is unable to send because you did not enter
password/username. On SMTP you need to turn on authentification in order to
send the password/username (which is optionally on SMTP protocol). If you do
not authenticate, you can send only to yourself and to other recipients at
the same server. In respect of authentification, the test account
configuration button is not very exact because sending to yourself never
needs authentification.

The settings for "authentification" is a bit hidden: Open the email account,
click on advanced, go to the second tab sheet, click "this server needs
authentification" usually you can leave "same as incomming" (Button texts
in this message are translated from German Outlook to english and may vary
from the exact words in English Outlook).

My wish for next Outlook version or service pack: Outlook should be able to
discover by itself if the SMTP server needs authentification for example by
reading the response from the EHLO command (at least on the first send after
configuration or if send returns 550).

Thomas Quester
www.olfolders.de

Calvin.Lai

Thomas: I am not too sure which place you are referring to when you say
"open the email account...". Are you talking about in Outlook or on
Exchange 5.5 server?

For a bit more info for you (and everyone else), my machine is in the
CGIAHW01 domain, same domain as the EXCH01 Exchange 5.5 server. So I
log in to the CGIAHW01 domain and fire up Outlook. Why would I need
more authentication when I'm already authenticated to the domain int he
first place?

This domain.com is the ONLY domain we can't send to. Every other
external domain is fine.

Thomas Quester

If you have Exchange 5.5 you are unable to set up authentification -- I fear
that SMTP AUTH was invented later also Exchange, but you can use any mail
proxy which is able to use SMTP Authentification, the proxy may be at the
same computer or somewhere in the intranet or internet but usually no server
at the internet will send emails without authentification, because if
anybods does it will be used by lots of spammers to distribute spam emails.

Steps:

0.1 Find out what type of authentification your provider needs, mostly all
of them are requiring SMTP AUTH with methods LOGIN, PLAIN or CRAM-MD5. You
may open telnet and enter something like
open post.strato.de 25 <- put your own provider here
then type ehlo anything. You will receive something like this:

220 post.webmailer.de ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Tue, 5 Jul 2005
00:20:36 +000 (MEST)
ehlo test
250-post.webmailer.de Hello c183131.adsl.hansenet.de [213.39.183.131],
pleasedo meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN <---- This is the line telling what
that authentification is possible with CRAM-MD5, PLAIN and LOGIN, there may
be other things here.
250 HELP

0.2. Ask google if there exists a special solution for Exchange 5.5 or
clients not beeing able to do SMTP AUTH.

1. Download any mail proxy (you find many of them in google, tucows and any
download archive or maybe use our OLFolders which is free of charge for this
purpose)
2. Configure the mail proxy to any non-standard addresses for example 111
and 26 instead of 110 (POP3) and 25 (SMTP)
3. Configure an SMTP account or a smart server with authentification
3.1 Depending on security considerations of your provider, you may need a
different send account for each mail address
4. Configure the internet settings in the mail proxy
5. Configure Exchange 5.5 to send to the mail proxy (for example localhost
port 26) instead of directly to the internet using the SMTP smart proxy
using exchange administrator.
6 Configure the mail proxy to trust the Exchange server, e.g. allowing to
send emails without authentification

Now if you send a message, Exchange sends the message to the proxy server
which queues the message until intenet connection is established, then it
authentificates correctly to the external SMTP server and sends the email.

Thomas Quester
www.olfolders.com