500 Sig limit?

Reaction score
Why do i have a 500 character sig limit?

Chris's sig is longer than 500, but i cant have any more...

why not?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
500 char's is a lot, are you sure chris's is more than that? If it is, it must have changed after the update. Its upped to 750 temporarily, but I'd only like to see small sigs - so use a small font ;)

Reaction score
i was using a small font, i copied chris's sig into the box and it came up with the 500 car error

Reaction score
I had to edit mine for ages before it let me... i think it is 500 or less... it HAS to be, or i wouldn't have been allowed it. Maybe there were some spaces after the text you pasted that are counted as characters?

Reaction score
Characters with spaces = 334.

I copied it into word and did a word count. You defo did sometin wrong then i gues...

Reaction score
Mine is only 309 according to MS Word...

I think there is something wrong with the counter Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its a little too big if I'm honest ;) Any chance you can put a couple of things on the same line, or remove the little things like floppy/network card? A little smaller and its fine :)

Reaction score
Now there is a 700 (or 750?) sig limit, and i cannot get my sig to save.

here is the sig:
--
KGB's RIG;

Jeantech iMax case
P4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM
Gigbyte 95655FX-L MoBo
Maxtor 80GB HDD, DVD±RW (DL)
500W PSU, 128MB Radeon GFx
Logitech MediaPlay cordless mouse
HP K/B, Win XP Pro, 17" Acer TFT
--

It is in colour, but it did not copy them.

I copied it to MS Word, and it said 203 characters (with spaces)

What is the problem with it?

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't see any reason why that doesn't work, let me take a look and see whats up.

Edit = Give it a go now? There were lots of hidden HTML tags in your sig field, so I've deleted those and that might sort it out.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Using word is never a good idea as it add formating tags (which are hidden, to get exact thing notepad is more suitable.

I personally never like the idea of large sigs as they waste a lot of time in scrolling the thread, two to three lines should be sufficient for most. Besides not many people read sigs, its the contents of the message which is more important.

No offence to anyone :D

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I can't see any reason why that doesn't work, let me take a look and see whats up.

Edit = Give it a go now? There were lots of hidden HTML tags in your sig field, so I've deleted those and that might sort it out.

The sig character count takes into account all formatting characters - not just the actual text displayed.
So, for example "KGB's Rig" contains 9 characters, but if you make it bold "KGB's Rig" it then contains 16 characters.
Adding colour tags will add upwards of another 20 characters, per instance.
So, if your sig doesnt fit, try removing some of the formatting.

Ask a Question