3g Data Card

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hello people :)

I think I need to consider a solution to me being out of the office most of the time and paying huge sums of money to access the net whilst out and about (in hotels and the like). A Blackberry won't work for me so I am considering a 3G card for the laptop.

The costs are much of a muchness across the main providers (I am with Orange for the mobile). The question is: do I go for the 3G card or the USB gadget. The latter doesn't allow Wifi access as I understand it.

So, people, can you help me with the most cost effective and efficient choice please?

Many thanks and Happy New Year :)

Gabriella xx

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey Gabs hows you..:wave:

I do know that one of my friends was getting atrocious speeds from his ADSL broadband at home, it was literally slower than a 56k modem would have been on a normal phone line..He enquired about cable from NTL but wasn't any in the area, so looked at other options and found that by contacting his mobile phone provider could use his network (T-Mobile) for a small charge of £4.99 a month they would enable his mobile to act as a modem for roaming with his laptop and his speeds downloading went from 17kbps to 160kbps which is just over a 1mb broadband connection equivalent..

He was well happy with this and cancelled Tiscali broadband at £15.99 a month and now uses his laptop anywhere to connect to the internet for only £4.99 a month extra on his mobile phone bill..

Perhaps you could get in touch with your provider (Orange) and see if they do a similar service to T-Mobile.

Hope that helps Gab..:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I use a Vodafone 3G card with my work laptop - gives speeds around 384Kbps and works well.....however this assumes you are in a 3G area, in many outlying country areas 3G coverage is poor.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Ady

Would you recommend Vodaphone in preference to any of the other providers?

Gabriella xx

Reaction score
A friend use's a Vodafone 3G card with his laptop as he says they provide the best coverage.:thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
gabriella said:
do I go for the 3G card or the USB gadget. The latter doesn't allow Wifi access as I understand it.

It does. But you would have a cable and dongle hanging out of the side of your laptop and I'm not sure you would like that.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Ok guys, thank you for your help so far. Are we saying go Vodaphone + data card in preference to the USB thingy??

Many thanks

Gabs xx

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Ok then, by the power of Feckit, that is what I am going to go for :)

Thanks for asking about me Feckit - the business is going well, now a Ltd Company and about to finish my 2nd year of trading. It's not all sweetness and light all of the time and there have been many very late nights working on projects that grew like topsy or weren't quite what they said on the lid :) Most of my business is repeat and I have never yet advertised. It's good but I try to always remember 'you are only as good as your last job'.

Happy New Year to you and yours :)

Love

Gabs xx

Ask a Question