2nd hard drive

G

I just installed an NTFS formatted drive but XP only sees it as foreign. Is there any way to make XP recognize this drive without having to re-format and lose all previous data?

Any help would be appreciated.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Cause:

The Foreign status occurs when you move a dynamic disk to the local computer from another computer running Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional. A warning icon appears on disks that display the Foreign status.

In some cases, a disk that was previously connected to the system can display the Foreign status. Configuration data for dynamic disks is stored on all dynamic disks, so the information about which disks are owned by the system is lost when all dynamic disks fail.

Solution:

Add the disk to your computer's system configuration so that you can access data on the disk. To add a disk to your computer's system configuration, import the foreign disk (right-click the disk and then click Import Foreign Disks). Any existing volumes on the foreign disk become visible and accessible when you import the disk.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I just installed an NTFS formatted drive but XP only sees it as foreign. Is there any way to make XP recognize this drive without having to re-format and lose all previous data?
|
| Any help would be appreciated.

G

What hapens if partition is larger then 500 gb
My foreign disk having particion of 530 gb and when I klik to import foreign disk, winserver 2003 show one volums of 480 gb and one of 100 GB, what to doo??

Ask a Question