284.4 @EJL prints before everything on Epson FX-880+

G

Well...topic says it..

Every single time I print something be it the test page, a document in IE it always prints

@EJ

Anyone have any clue why it does this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

G

----- Insley913 wrote: -----

Well...topic says it...

Every single time I print something be it the test page, a document in IE it always prints:

@EJL

Anyone have any clue why it does this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Just posted my own but I thought I'd send it to you as a reply because it is so similar:

This problem is similar to Insley913 of same date. Trying to interface my old ESCP2 860A to a Dell 2400 with XP Home. Pulled the driver out of the list of drivers in XP and tried Test Print and got:
@EJL 1284.4
@EJL
PMSNSNSN

printed at the top of the first page and then the printer started passing clean sheets through the printer until forced to stop. Same thing happened when I tried to print a file. Of course, XP did not recognize any problem and print the error code. I had to go look for the error log which can be found by some good luck. There I was informed that win32 error code 170(0xaa) had been returned by the printer. Now if anyone knows where I can find a list of win32 error codes, I'd be

G

I did get it to stop printing the weird characters and doing all the line feeding. I changed the software in the printers options menu to esc/p from the ibm software it was running since the choices were I believe esc/p, IBM, and Okidata emulation. It now prints everything fine except I still get that 284.4 @EJL thing at the beginning of everything I print. Ron, you can change the software emulation it uses by holding the font button as you power up the printer. Any help on why it still prints the EJL thing before it prints anything would still be greatly appreciated though ;

B

Box134

I don't know if this will help you but this is the scoop:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/developer-html/gimpprint_37.html

ESC/P2 command: ESC 01 @EJL [sp] ID\r\n
Return the printer ID. This is considered a remote mode command, although
the syntax is that of a conventional command. This returns the following
information:
@EJL ID\r
MFG:EPSON;
CMD:ESCPL2,BDC;
MDL:[printer model];
CLS:pRINTER;
DES:EPSON [printer model];
\f

After all data has been sent, a form feed byte should be sent.
All newer Epson printers (STC 440, STP 750) require the following command to
be sent at least once to enable printing at all. This command specifically
takes the printer out of the Epson packet mode communication protocol
(whatever that is) and enables normal data transfer. Sending it multiple
times is is not harmful, so it is normally sent at the beginning of each
job:
ESC 01@EJL[space]1284.4[newline]@EJL[space][space][space][space]
[space][newline]ESC@

Insley913 said:
Well...topic says it...

Every single time I print something be it the test page, a document in IE it always prints:

@EJL

Anyone have any clue why it does this?? Any help would be greatly
appreciated...

G

Well....I appreciate the response but umm, I'm just trying to get it to disappear ;p Ive emailed Epson and got a response about it being setup as an ECP printer port instead of standard but of course they were wrong, the port was set correctly...Beats me, if I don't get it working today before I print invoices I'm in big trouble...

G

I'll probably never post here again, but thought I'd leave this note for Ron...I got my problem solved by deleting the printer from the control panel and then installing the printer as an FX850...The XP driver for that printer makes the 880+ work like a charm ;

Peac

Reaction score
Solved 284.4@EJL problem

had the same prob with Epson LQ670 after installing window xp sp3 - 284.4@EJL appears on every page! Spent a lot of time looking for answer online. Even had an e-talk with Epson helpdesk but they only asked you to try again from another application or diff computer to see if same prob exists, nothing more.

I found this solution out of desparation:
- selected the 'Epson Compatible 24-pin' (it came with sp3) as my printer before printing. those unwanted 2 lines DISAPPEARED. What a relief!

Last edited:

Ask a Question