2 XP features driving me nuts

G

1. Whenever I try to change my Nvida drivers, I'll delete them from "Add/Remove Programs" and reboot. The problem is that upon rebooting, my card is found and new 52.16's are automatically installed. I don't want these drivers. I have disabled "Auto Updates" under Services, but it keeps on auto-installing itself. What am I missing

2. I also disabled that pesky Messenger in both Outlook Express and the Messenger program itself. But it occasionally pops a little window up from my Task Bar notifying me that I have to verify my e-mail address in Outlook Express. That little thing is driving me nuts. Help

e

C

Chuck

1. Whenever I try to change my Nvida drivers, I'll delete them from "Add/Remove Programs" and reboot. The problem is that upon rebooting, my card is found and new 52.16's are automatically installed. I don't want these drivers. I have disabled "Auto Updates" under Services, but it keeps on auto-installing itself. What am I missing?

2. I also disabled that pesky Messenger in both Outlook Express and the Messenger program itself. But it occasionally pops a little window up from my Task Bar notifying me that I have to verify my e-mail address in Outlook Express. That little thing is driving me nuts. Help!

ez

Check in HKLM\Run for "nwiz.exe", and in running processes for
"nvsvc32.exe". If you find either, disabling or stopping it might
make a difference. Dunno what will happen, but if you're daring... ;)

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

K

Kent_Diego

ezdriver said:
1. Whenever I try to change my Nvida drivers, I'll delete them from
"Add/Remove Programs" and reboot. The problem is that upon rebooting, my
card is found and new 52.16's are automatically installed. I don't want
these drivers. I have disabled "Auto Updates" under Services, but it keeps
on auto-installing itself. What am I missing?Uninstall and reboot in Safe Mode by holding F8 key and try to install older
drivers from there.
2. I also disabled that pesky Messenger in both Outlook Express and the
Messenger program itself. But it occasionally pops a little window up from
my Task Bar notifying me that I have to verify my e-mail address in Outlook
Express. That little thing is driving me nuts. Help!There are two Messengers in Windows, the instant messenger and the messenger
service. The messenger service is how those strange pop-up spam messages
arrive. Go to Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Services and disable
messenger. I hope this will work to fix OE problem too.

-Kent

Ask a Question