1st mobile phone

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
But thats only for a year. He will keep the one for a few years im sure, plus he wont spend loads on calls etc.

I dont think it would be worth getting a contract as it would work out more expensive?
He could always go to PAYG after the year is up - and beware once he has a phone, if hes like most youngsters he will want to change it to the latest new poser model soon enough ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Stuartw101 said:
The idea of the nokia being a 3g phone is putting me off as i have heard bad things about it, what do you think?
3G is ok but not great..

It depends on where you live as to how good the signal is. The phone will run on 2.5G if it cannot get a 3G signal, so you will not loose signal just you wont be able to use the 3G services that the network provides. For example, my network (Vodafone) have a live t.v streaming service on Vodafone Live, but you need the faster 3G service to use it.
Vodafones 3G service where i live is great, i get a strong signal almost everwhere and when i dont i get a full 2.5G signal.

Check out the service providers website for a coverage map of the signal. :thumb:

As for the phone, i'd say Nokia. :)

Reaction score
I have a D600 - it has a good camera, takes cards, MP3 player, can go full screen, can plug in to TV's and do a bunch of other stuff ill never use. I pay £15/month and there was no phone charge. It might be cheaper to get a pay monthly and just use P&G sim. D600 is a quality phone.

Reaction score
Rush, the phone is on orange, but because it said 3G i assumed it had it on which was bad. Also i heard that it can crash because of the software on it.

Im now leaning towards the Nokia 6630. Just need those points to be cleared up and then i think im ready to buy as i need to order today.

Im actually confused is it on the oraneg network or 3G?

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/nokia_6630/detail/pay_as_you_go

Did you buy yours on the orange site rush and how much did you pay and when?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
I meant what Ady said.

The contract would be over after a year, he could put a PAYG sim in OR with own money renew the contract, get the latest phone and flog the old one at profit :)

My reccomendation? Sony Eric. K750i

Reaction score
Looks like he wont be getting any phone in time for friday. The iste doesn't accept solo card and my dad left his credit cards at the office, so he won't be able to get them until monday.

Too be honest i was gonna get the Motorola L7, mainly because of reviews about the nokia and also because he said its ugly.

Reaction score
bring back the brick

Until 2000 i used an old brick style phone that came with it's own base and 8" antena. Very reliable and could get a signal in 99.9% of the country, even in deepest somerset or in the wilds of scotland miles from a mast, i was told at the time a new phone was better. Now i put up with a small little phone that fits in my pocket, but does not work in all locations, this i was told was progress!

I sometimes have problems getting a signal nowadays, even with a mast only 1 mile away. Lets go back to 2 cans & string:p

Ask a Question