1st mobile phone

Reaction score
Its my brothers 18th bday soon and he wants a mobile phone, he has never had one beforeso he has decided its time he gets one. My mum is willing to pay around £120 for it, so i am having a look around for the best phone for the price.

I have seen the following phones and was wondering whta you though was the best value for money.

Sony Ericsson K600i (£90)
Motorola L7 SLVR (£119.99)
Samsung Z140v (£100)
Sony Ericsson Z520i (£100)
Nokia 6630 (£110)

Hope you can help as i have to really buy it tonight or tommorow morning as it needs to arrive for friday.

Thanks

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I currently have the Nokia 6630 but had the 6680 before that and in my opinion the 6680 is the best phone out there for price.

Plus side for the 6680
1. excellent control
2. memory card (this is an option that hammers most phones)
3. great sound and video playback
4.Its Nokia

downside
1 slightly long
2 can be sim free (payg) but that doubles the price !!

against the D500 and D600 i would opt most definately for the Nokia 6680
Cheap on ebay aswell (under £100, but as you state you need it for tommorow)

Only my opinion though :thumb:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can get some good bargains on contract phones if you are willing to go there (for the £15+ plans anyway).

Are there any features your brother will want, i.e. camera, mp3 player or just a good phone?

Reaction score
He wants it on pay as you go. The features he wants are a goodish camera, mp3 player good enough quality to listen to mp3's and just an overall good phone, nto sure if you can gt a phone that has these features on my budget of £120?

I personally think the Motorola SLVR L7 is the best phone on my budget as i have seen my friend has one and looks good and has good features, im willing to listen to other suggestions though.

Reaction score
haggle 4 the deal

I'm with o2 pay as you go, but think Orange provide a better service, as well as you get 10% back each month on the top up's you spend, it's the same with o2 but you have to wait 3 months! If it's his first phone go for something cheap'ish say under £70/80 as in a year or so he will probably want to get something better and a phone that is to techie put's some people off if their not used to it.

Haggle with the salesperson,your the customer and you can play different shops off each other, they really do want you business in the cut throat market of mobile phones, i recently haggled this way and got a £180 phone for £50 on pay as you go, but had to put a £30 top up voucher when buying it. Good luck:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
But thats only for a year. He will keep the one for a few years im sure, plus he wont spend loads on calls etc.

I dont think it would be worth getting a contract as it would work out more expensive?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The Samsung one out of all them is the best in my opinion. Nice and small, plus its a samsung.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If you can spend 30 minutes at www.gsmarena.com you will find out a lot about the phones you have listed it may even help you make the decision.

Reaction score
Thanks quad, thats a good site, they only had a review for the nokia 6630 but i have seen reviews elsewhere for the others. I think i have narrowed it down to the Nokia 6630 and Motorola SLVR L7. The idea of the nokia being a 3g phone is putting me off as i have heard bad things about it, what do you think?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
So i am still in the running for your pick eh!!

Still say the 6680 is better than MY present 6630 :D

Reaction score
great site

Quadophile said:
If you can spend 30 minutes at www.gsmarena.com you will find out a lot about the phones you have listed it may even help you make the decision.

Oh why did i not find that site before i bought mine:( But knowing my luck with phones will not be long before i buy one again:D Cheers Quad:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
My Choice? Without batting an eyelid it would be the Motorola SLVR 7 :) In fact I may just as well buy one for my wife since I recently bought the RAZR V3 in Black. No offence to Nokia fans but the 6630 to me is one of the most ugliest phones I have personally come across.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Quote by Quad
No offence to Nokia fans but the 6630 to me is one of the most ugliest phones I have personally come across.

Surprising that ..my wife has a Motorola v3 razr and i thought that was ugly :D

The Nokia has memory card the motorola does not ???

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Rush said:
Quote by Quad

Surprissing that ..my wife has a Motorola v3 razr and i thought that was ugly :D

The Nokia has memory card ???

I am beginning to finally enjoy these fist fights at PC Review. SLVR 7 has a memory card too! So that makes it even.

By the way, that remark of yours settles the score between the two of us, agreed? :D

Let's pick another fight on something else some other time ;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I will use the art of surprise quads ...then pounce like a tiger ...:D

Apologies to you i mentioned no memory card with reference to the Motorola v3 ..

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes you are correct when you say V3 has no memory card. V3i which is the new one has it though.

Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
The features he wants are a goodish camera, mp3 player good enough quality to listen to mp3's and just an overall good phone, nto sure if you can gt a phone that has these features on my budget of £120?

should be able to quite easily get what you want for under £120 even in high street stores.

Reaction score
I just need a bit of info on the Nokia 6630, rush you say you have it? What are the good and bad points? It has 3G but i have heard bad things about its service etc.

Ask a Question