160 GB Hard drive formatiing problem

G

Hello,
I am installing a winXP sp1 pro / MSDN version of XP on a new 160 GB drive
When i try to format it as one large partition i get windows general error screen saying that it could not format it
The maxtor's utility has no problem formatting it (FAT only) nor does it se any problems with the drive after the scan. MBoard Bios is up-to-date and shows correct size of the drive. Windows also shows the correct drive and partitions sizes without any problem
it is Ultra ATA/133 drive. I found in the forums that earlier version of windows migh have the 137 GB limit. It does not seem to be the case, and yet IT can not format it!
Please HELP

G

Hi

You cannot resize partition after installation of XP
You need 3rd party software like Partition Magic 8.0, Bootitng, etc
With these softwares, you can resize, merge paritions, change cluster size, NTFS to FAT32 or vice versa, etc

Pete

----- Gennadiy wrote: ----

Hello,
I am installing a winXP sp1 pro / MSDN version of XP on a new 160 GB drive
When i try to format it as one large partition i get windows general error screen saying that it could not format it
The maxtor's utility has no problem formatting it (FAT only) nor does it se any problems with the drive after the scan. MBoard Bios is up-to-date and shows correct size of the drive. Windows also shows the correct drive and partitions sizes without any problem
it is Ultra ATA/133 drive. I found in the forums that earlier version of windows migh have the 137 GB limit. It does not seem to be the case, and yet IT can not format it!
Please HELP

Ask a Question