160 gb

Akshay

Hi there,

Im running windows xp with the following hard drive:
- 160 gb seagate 7200 rpm

My system has been formatted using NTFS, I read somewhere
that NTFS only supports partitions up to 128 gb. Sure
enuf, when I ran my system, I only have access to 127 gb.

I then used partition magic to create another partition
(another drive with 10 gb) to see if I could reallocate
some free space, but no luck....I still only have access
to 127 gb between the 2 drives.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how I could
reclaim that free space (more than 30 gb).

Cheers

Ron Martell

Akshay said:
Hi there,

Im running windows xp with the following hard drive:
- 160 gb seagate 7200 rpm

My system has been formatted using NTFS, I read somewhere
that NTFS only supports partitions up to 128 gb. Sure
enuf, when I ran my system, I only have access to 127 gb.

I then used partition magic to create another partition
(another drive with 10 gb) to see if I could reallocate
some free space, but no luck....I still only have access
to 127 gb between the 2 drives.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how I could
reclaim that free space (more than 30 gb).

Cheers

It is not NTFS that has a limit of 127 gb.

You probably need to update the BIOS in your computer to gain support
for these huge hard drives. Check the motherboard manufacturer's web
site (or the computer manufacturer if it is a major brand computer)
for a BIOS update for your exact model number.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Lorne Smith

Akshay said:
Hi there,

Im running windows xp with the following hard drive:
- 160 gb seagate 7200 rpm

My system has been formatted using NTFS, I read somewhere
that NTFS only supports partitions up to 128 gb. Sure
enuf, when I ran my system, I only have access to 127 gb.

I then used partition magic to create another partition
(another drive with 10 gb) to see if I could reallocate
some free space, but no luck....I still only have access
to 127 gb between the 2 drives.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how I could
reclaim that free space (more than 30 gb).

Cheers

As Ron says, it's not NTFS which is limiting you to 127gb. NTFS has an
upper limit per partition somewhere up in the terabyte range...
If there is no BIOS update available for your motherboard to access drives
of this size, you will need to purchase a seperate 48bit IDE controller card
to access drives this size. The normal 32bit IDE controllers usually found
on motherboards is what is restricting you to 127mb... Sometimes they can
be patched in the BIOS, but often not...

Lorne

Pete Baker

Akshay

Check that your mainboard supports the large (over 128Gb) hard drive.

Make sure you have installed XP Service Pack 1.

If you need more info you should find the steps needed to let XP see the
full drive here

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

You should also be aware that the advertised storage capacity of the Hard
drive is actually 160,000,000,000 bytes - which the HD manufacturer
confusingly refers to as 160Gb using the decimal definition of a gigabyte -
1 Gb = 1,000,000,000 bytes.
All operating system will calculate that capacity as approximately 149Gb
using the binary defintion where 1 Gb = 1024 Mb = 1024 x 1024 Kb = 1024 x
1024 x 1024 bytes.

So only expect to see 149Gb in your drive properties when all storage
capacity is fully available.

Hope that helps
Pete