120GB Maxtor Data Recovery

a12vman

I have a 120GB Maxtor Diamond that I need to recover some data from. The
drive failed tonight. It was in an external enclosure attached to my Win2K3
box via USB. I noticed an I/O error in the event viewer. The drive spins up
fine but then is making a "Tick" noise about every 5 Seconds.

I tried putting it directly onto my onboard ata controller, BIOS recognized
the drive correctly but then hung up at "Verifying DMI Data".

If I leave the drive in the enclosure & boot into windows, the Disk Manager
shows it as connected but the File system shows as Basic with 100% free
space.

Based on what I mentioned above, can the discs be moved to a similar healthy
drive for recovery?

Thanks,
-a12vman

Arno Wagner

Previously a12vman said:
I have a 120GB Maxtor Diamond that I need to recover some data from. The
drive failed tonight. It was in an external enclosure attached to my Win2K3
box via USB. I noticed an I/O error in the event viewer. The drive spins up
fine but then is making a "Tick" noise about every 5 Seconds.
I tried putting it directly onto my onboard ata controller, BIOS recognized
the drive correctly but then hung up at "Verifying DMI Data".
If I leave the drive in the enclosure & boot into windows, the Disk Manager
shows it as connected but the File system shows as Basic with 100% free
space.
Based on what I mentioned above, can the discs be moved to a similar
healthy drive for recovery?

You should get a quote from some proferssional data recovery
outfit. This sounds like a pretty standard disk failure,
but it will still need experience and the right equipment to fix.

Arno

Rod Speed

a12vman said:
I have a 120GB Maxtor Diamond that I need to recover some data from.
The drive failed tonight. It was in an external enclosure attached to my Win2K3 box via USB. I
noticed an I/O error in the event viewer. The drive spins up fine but then is making a "Tick"
noise about every 5 Seconds.

Thats the drive recalibrating when it cant read the platters properly.
I tried putting it directly onto my onboard ata controller, BIOS recognized the drive correctly
but then hung up at "Verifying DMI Data".

That doesnt prove much, it just happens to be the last thing that
is put on the screen so that if the boot fails, thats what you see.
If I leave the drive in the enclosure & boot into windows, the Disk Manager shows it as connected
but the File system shows as Basic with 100% free space.
Based on what I mentioned above, can the discs be moved to a similar
healthy drive for recovery?

Nope.

A recovery program my be able to recover what is recoverable.

sykotaboy

The date of your msg tells me you've probably already gotten your recovery. Or else perhaps added new harddrive and laid remains of previous drive in a box or static bag.

VERY familiar with Diamond (about 60 of them on vault shelf, next to me)

SHORT VERSION:
YES

There is NO such thing as permanently deleted data. Only harder to mine-for data. (never commit a crime with a computer or leave evidence against you on one before getting busted...hehe....If you do, hopefully you've taken drive to a junkyard crusher, or better, dropped in directly into molten, stirring pool of steel at a steel refinery....lol...Electromagnetic shadowing and Quadrant as well as parallel shadow-layering is quite commonly seen in evidence labs as a required descrambling issue.

It can be a LOT cheaper than it seems if you have the patience to fall face-first asleep reading the "Long Dull Version," below... all the way through...

LONG, DULL, repetitive, detail version (be prepared to fall asleep reading the repetitively!...hehe)

There won't be any e-mail addresses in the text of this msg, because Newsgroups is an absolute Phishing Heaven for spammers....Fortunately about 99% of spammers are students sucking up to "big money" pyramid scheme promises of complete and total BS, Middle-aged losers, desperately seeking a life, ex-kiddie-molesters pushing porn pics, or most commonly robotic programs that phish, strip and list-out emails by the piles, and start sending out trash mail from eastern and far eastern nations, for owners in extreme financial dire straits....hehe.....

Hey, I pretty near LIVE in a very, very dark lab room with rare public exposure, "sometimes" not seeing even outdoors, much less daylight for days at a time!...lol.....lack of sanity should be expected....hehe...Most work in here is done in wee-hours of night, because of desperation for rapid overnight recoveries.

YES, do it pretty regularly....usually requires getting into a space suit and going inside a clean-room environment to maintain the drive-quality.....the price can depend upon you asking the companies you do recovery business with, "How much would it cost to JUST get the data it self back?" versus "How much would it cost to get the data AND have the drive still in perfect original condition returned?"

Depending on the company's facility and volume, the answers can range anywhere from about $350 on into $1,500 and, in very,very extremely rare cases going into like $5,000.

They usually give the price AFTER attaining the drive to inspect....but require a deposit or "preparation fee" and/or "inspection fee", "analysis fee," etc that can run into around $300 to $500, depending on drive condition when received for inspection (sometimes cutesy termed as "autopsy within the nerd labs, where they inspect in microscopy, sometimes using fiber cameras adapted to digital microscopes, where one can take snapshots or video of interior-area-tour, where saltwater residues I've seen on drives look ROOM size under scope, but invisible to naked eye.. As one crazy example was one from a divorce-lawyer that had been thrown in the ocean by an ex-wife during an angry temper-tantrum, at his beach house she resided in, when he approached her front door yelling "Did you take my Hard drive out of my laptop". And she answer"yes" and told him he'd need scuba gear to get it back...hehe.....So he bribed his teen son to go out in a mask and flippers for next week to search for it, because it had all of his patient records and med-scan images,, accounting and tax data on it.....On the microscopy inspection, the 14-day old salt residue looks like the hanging coral in a Mediterranean diving-cave, surrounded in white marred coloration on very top of top platters in little dots & bump spots, damaging the read/write heads, hence the click-like sound.

It's going to also depend upon any "possibly" of damage to the platters (this usually only occurs for either severe physical collision effects (Smashes, near explosion source, bent (Rare without "trying, accept in heavy collision cases.)

The forensics cases in here are sometimes turned in in evidence bags of no more than pieces, mixed with road gravel and soil, from sweeping up remains off roads and parking lots with brooms and bagged....from crime-scenes by Private investigators...hehe

Another point is: "damage to platters" possibility

this can still be recovered from, with a bit of work and differential mathematics in static physics) is more something I'd ask the customer for over a phone. For example:

1. Was there any form of power surge? (this you could tell from whether your computer just suddenly got cut off, and your lights suddenly dimmed or flashed very brightly, even popping light bulbs for fraction of second)

2. "the last time this drive was connected, did you notice ANY kinds of odd noises (clicking, squeaking/scratching type sound?)

3. "IF" you hear squeaking noise AT ALL from drive, could you please describe it? I.a. was it little beep-like fractional-second squeaks (commonly a landing error on head armateurs. this more commonly comes from the drive being 'dropped' on a hard surface or floor from ATLEAST a distance of 19"-36" or more above surface)

4. Can you describe the temperature of the drive last it was connected, to the feel on your hand?

5. did it make ANY form of gurgling sound?

6. What is around the PC or near to it (this is more about having been within less than 8", very large screen TV's directly net-to "maybe", mega-powered audio amps (300watts +), and devices or products that also radiate a high electromagnetic pollution zone? (This is on a micro-tiny scale, well below your average radio shack (aka Rat Shack) Electrical meters), such as a Refrigerators, or worse might be right next to a Microwave oven...lol....)???

aside from that, I usually wait till the drive arrives to say anything, but the highest of preliminary deposits we've charged are around $200 max.....but then most of our activity is directly from local-area stores, TechShops (CompUSA, Best Buy, Geeks-R-Us, and the local "computer Tech field -services" vans you see running around town)......Only reason is that so many have left drive for recovery prior and never showed up again, phone numbers no slinger in services etc, within a matter of days...lol) .....

Plus most of my friends' customers just aren't able to cough up a grand or two to get their data back. Most are prepared to, if they haven't already, and they just HAVE-TO, replace the drive, while operating from a spare of external just to get back to work for the one to 10 day wait.

The "TIME IMPACT" is also one to take up with companies, if you call around. Quite a few will give you their quote for 2-day, 3-day, 10-day, and overnight-recoveries. 1-hour, while you wait recoveries, etc.

So ask them about whether they have a price "step-ladder" where you can just end up with a total bill limit of say $400, $500, $1,000, etc.

Unfortunately a good number will take the $1,000 and then call up to tell-you some nonsense that it's gonna have to cost you this or that much MORE to continue. or ship back a totally non-functional pile of drive pieces, with seals and vents sacrificed, in assumption you'll just call back after a week or two max of thinking about it...lol.......

Most will be pretty straight with you, but quite a LOT lurk in the shadows that will very commonly use procedures described above!!!

"If" the drive can be attached and detected in BIOS, you should be able to drop the cost QUITE drastically. ...to put it very mildly!

"IF" the drive is readable and functional, but you reformatted or LOW formatted it, regardless,...even completely overwritten it, it is MORE than recoverable. I've taken little 20 Gig IDE antiques and recovered well into 320 Gigabytes of crystal-clear pictures,video, files, audio, etc,etc without problem for "complete forensic Package" recovery orders (this take a little while of major focus and some pretty serious equipment, but these are commonly evidence cases of lawyers, or now and then a P.I or off duty detective, just wanting clues about someone, including every email they've ever transmitted or received with any form of installed mail-readers, news readers, etc,..along with internet traffic logs of every site visited, and all traceable TRACKED serial numbers of devices, laptops, Motherboards,iPods, Palmtops, MP3 players, PEN DRIVES, EXTERNALS, PRINTERS, , ETC attached to or with every computer or device that drive was EVER mated with since it left Manufacturer's factory or initial shipment......[and very-soon-to-come, cellphone technologies set to wander thru stores well-within the next few yrs or less]

Sorry for the utter boredom of the length of this e-mail (I've barely even started the introduction...hehe....MUCH easier to actually "TALK TO" the customer" than to guess from a short question post...hehe).....and if you think THIS is long and boring, you should see some of my research-white-papers that can run hundreds of pages on nothing more than head armateur designs, magneto-resistance, flux and static-damages to data source codes....lol....

"Personally"," depending on phone interview answers, "IF" the drive is candidate, I'd want to just get it done for around $300 to $500 outer max.... and "maybe remain having to replace the drive itself, since you can get brand-new drives for anywhere from about $70 to $199 from different sources depending on type (IDE/SCSI/SATA/PATA/PenDrive/Laptop/PCMCIA and on and on) and Capacity(80Gig? 160Gig?300 Gig?).

MOST companies, with the exception of the very high price taggers ($1,500 to $5,000 per drive), only give you previous layers (most electromagnetically active bits, reassembled and descrambled). As for myself, I get annoyed with all the hassles of filtering out the first two to three layers from one another, co I just throw all of the last two layers onto the transfer. "IF" you ask for you're recovery to be burnt onto DVD's or CD's, watch out!....This is big profit price-hike area for many....hehe....ESPECIALLY when it is an actual "Full Forensic Recovery".....Imagine an ancient 20 gig drive, used for years and years, and you have a recovery, when in forensics that can VERY EASILY net well into 500Gigs or more, just before filtering out "exact repeats" (not giving you six copies of SAME files...hehe)....

It'd be nice to know if you could answer the question list, otherwise you'd have to give me at least an email and/or (for DIRECT and live, PRIVATE, messaging CONVERSATION be on ICQ(www.icq.com) and try to add me, with a short message in the "please authorize me" request that mentions this email? and describes it in a sentence....hehe....whatever...... ICQ UIN# (I'm 20307299)...I'm online 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and commonly active pretty near all hours, because of so many shops being so desperate for overnight forensics and recoveries.

Hehe....too bad you're not in upper Northeast FL coastal area.... or it would be a set of questions, quite easily and quickly assessed for little if any cost, in about the time it'd take to fill up your car w/gas at a convenience store station, or less.....hehe....

Oh, well

Date also makes me wonder if you haven't long-since already gotten your data..........

Just do NOT turn out to be some suck-up spammer wanting to spam me with "How to make $6 into 6-Million!!!" or "Hot pics of Tits, click here" crap is all. I'd like to remain "assuming" you are atleast "partially human and have an IQ at least even partially above that of a corpse or a basic-motor-function seizuring spammer!!!

....hehe

If you have any big list of questions, I guess reply with them thru "reply to sender" (under "message")

L8r,

Joey

???????????????@???????.???

or (personal mailbox that is checked hourly, but I've had since early grade school, still being used among close-friends, to save time removing spam):

?????????@???????.???

I have a 120GB Maxtor Diamond that I need to recover some data from. The
drive failed tonight. It was in an external enclosure attached to my Win2K3
box via USB. I noticed an I/O error in the event viewer. The drive spins up
fine but then is making a "Tick" noise about every 5 Seconds.

I tried putting it directly onto my onboard ata controller, BIOS recognized
the drive correctly but then hung up at "Verifying DMI Data".

If I leave the drive in the enclosure & boot into windows, the Disk Manager
shows it as connected but the File system shows as Basic with 100% free
space.

Based on what I mentioned above, can the discs be moved to a similar healthy
drive for recovery?

Thanks,
-a?2?m?n
I have a 120GB Maxtor Diamond that I need to recover some data from. The
drive failed tonight. It was in an external enclosure attached to my Win2K3
box via USB. I noticed an I/O error in the event viewer. The drive spins up
fine but then is making a "Tick" noise about every 5 Seconds.

hmmm....every 5 seconds....If it is literally musically accurate in timing(exact-consistent time between clicks atleast to the second at very worst guess) and consistent, it could be "as simple" as marring or a sacrificed seal, perhaps. OR it can even go into very micro-mechanical issues with the Armateur, The head-seating "OR" armateur motor. If the drive has had a sudden Impact prior to this, it could be just a "partial" but permanent damage to the head-armateur's seating on it's shaft. There are so many what if's without actually "seeing" the drives, it's pretty hard to outright just "answer" with any confidence. A number of clicking-sound issues center around the heads and armateur they are mounted on.