muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... it's not a Samsung.

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its not no, but you wont see a 120 Sammy disk for that price for quite some time. :)

But for someone wanting an SSD on a budget, this is perfect.

Reaction score
Personally I don't think its capacity is big enough,

Will stick too my M4 Corsair 256

Reaction score
please dont post these sort of things, some of us have to save up this month!:lol:
yes for that big event at the end of the year, the one we cant mention before 23/12.
or sir flopps will hit the delete/ban button!:dance:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Personally I don't think its capacity is big enough,

Will stick too my M4 Corsair 256

Its more than big enough, Hell a 64Gb drive would be fine for a pure OS Boot drive. I've only got a 120Gb and its fine. OS, FF, CS6 and a few other bits on the SSD. You dont need all your mp3's, photos and video's on a blazing fast SSD now do you?

Mind you i do have another 4Tb's for games/data/storage....!

Even a 120 SSD in a laptop would suffice, you would just have to stream any music or other media over your network if you had a large collection.. ;)

As i said...

But for someone wanting an SSD on a budget, this is perfect.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I knew they'd start dropping in price eventually, that's a great price for a 120Gb SSD.

However, it's 43.99 and with OCUK's postage charge it comes to £52.69

It's only USB2, not USB 3.

But for a budget build and gaining the advantage of having your OS on an SSD then it's pretty hard to beat.

11 months ago I bought my Corsair USB 3 120Gb SSD drive for around £120. It now costs £85.00

And 120Gb is perfect to take an OS, in fact as V_R pointed out it's more than enough.

As for OCUK, I would never rule out using anybody, if OCUK had what I wanted at the right price and nobody else was stocking it at the time I'd use them. I just wouldn't use them by choice, is all ;)

I don't want to use Scan either, they crossed me, but they were the only ones stocking my Mionix keyboard a short while ago, good price, so Scan got my order. I'd rather have bought it from Kustom PC's but they didn't have any stock. So it goes.

Reaction score
But people who want an SSD aren't just gonna use it for an OS and documents are they? They are going to want to install a few games at least and in today's gaming market some games are huge install.

Wont take long to fill it

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
But people who want an SSD aren't just gonna use it for an OS and documents are they? They are going to want to install a few games at least and in today's gaming market some games are huge install.

Wont take long to fill it

The price of SSD's atm is such that you wouldn't use it for everything, the idea is to use a small SSD for OS to ensure max speed and install all other software/games/documents/pix/music/movies/recipes/your recollection of a day trip to Clacton to a bigger mechanical drive.

Which is what myself, V_R and no doubt a few others are doing.

imo it's pointless getting a 256Gb SSD cos as you pointed out at most it will only take OS and around half a dozen games if you're lucky. So why bother? May as well get a small SSD for OS and everything else on bigger mechanical drives.

Myself, I have OS on 120Gb SSD; a 500Gb disk for data and a 2Tb disk for games, loadsa space. And of course it's all backed up to external drives at least once a fortnight.

Eventually I expect 3Tb SSD's will become the norm and mechanical drives will be remembered as archaic devices, but probably not for a while yet.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Having the OS on the SSD will be the biggest benefit. Photoshop CS6 loads a little faster on the SSD, but not a huge amount.

Yes games will load faster on an SSD but thats not really an issue on modern systems. As i have a dedicated drive for Steam/games i dont have them on an SSD. My games drive alone is over 700Gb. Yes i could use Steam mover to move the games i play, but i honestly see no point.

Having documents/music etc on an SSD is a total waste as you will see **** all difference in loading speeds etc. All your doing is wasting the space that your paying a premium for. ;)

Its really not that difficult.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Having the OS on the SSD will be the biggest benefit. Photoshop CS6 loads a little faster on the SSD, but not a huge amount.

Yes games will load faster on an SSD but thats not really an issue on modern systems. As i have a dedicated drive for Steam/games i dont have them on an SSD. My games drive alone is over 700Gb. Yes i could use Steam mover to move the games i play, but i honestly see no point.

Having documents/music etc on an SSD is a total waste as you will see **** all difference in loading speeds etc. All your doing is wasting the space that your paying a premium for. ;)

Its really not that difficult.
So, in a nutshell, SSD drives are basically a waste of "time" (see what I did there) until, at least, they get to a useful size, and, price. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So, in a nutshell, SSD drives are basically a waste of "time" (see what I did there) until, at least, they get to a useful size, and, price. :)

I don't think so. By using an SSD for the OS the whole machine runs faster, it's as simple as that. Plus they are silent and probably more reliable than a mechanical drive cos there's no moving parts.

Add to that the advantage that all important data is stored away from the OS (usually Microsoft, which is notoriously prone for going belly-up for whatever reason, be it Malware, Virus or just plain cantankerism) and therefore safer and imo we have a win-win situation :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Wow, just wow........ :rolleyes:

Look i can be arsed to argue the point with you Mucks. Your clearly just trolling, so whatever.

Flops. Exactly. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got an 80GB SSD in my laptop and it's been one of the best upgrades I've ever made - the speed increase has extended the life of the laptop by several years. If I had a laptop with a 5400rpm drive, I'd buy this 120GB drive in an instant :thumb: (there are better ones around, but not near this price).

I don't need much storage on the laptop, so only about 50GB is used - and that's with Windows 7, Office and the usual apps/utilities.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Wow, just wow........ :rolleyes:

Look i can be arsed to argue the point with you Mucks. Your clearly just trolling, so whatever.

Flops. Exactly. :)
oh, wow, did I rub you the wrong way? :rolleyes:

sorry I spoke.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch these personally

Bought 2 of them about a year apart and they both failed over the last few weeks..... :mad:

Ask a Question