XP will not log off, restart, or shut down. download hal.dll

G

I have Widnows XP Professional upgraded from Windows 2000 Professional on a Toshiba laptop.

My system will not log off, restart, or shut down. When I manually turn off the computer, then turn it back on, I get two options. If I choose the windows XP setup option, I get the error message that a file is corrupt or missing. It tells me to download <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll. If I choose the Windows xp option, XP boots up, but the poblem reappears when I try to lof off etc.

Where do I find the file and how do I download and/or install it.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm for troubleshooting
issues with your HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

[Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I have Widnows XP Professional upgraded from Windows 2000 Professional on a Toshiba laptop.
|
| My system will not log off, restart, or shut down. When I manually turn off the computer, then turn it back
on, I get two options. If I choose the windows XP setup option, I get the error message that a file is
corrupt or missing. It tells me to download <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll. If I choose the Windows xp
option, XP boots up, but the poblem reappears when I try to lof off etc.
|
| Where do I find the file and how do I download and/or install it.

G

Thanks for the response. The bad I was not able to determine which commands to use after following the instructiions on the XP knowledge site you mentioned.

The good There is a repair funtion when you boot up from the XP CD. It fixed hte problem. It does not appear on the CD menu and only appears after the first prompt asking if you want to install windows again. This in a way hides the repair option it because without first seeing it, one is hesitant to hit install and risk an automatic clean install. After clicking install, the machine gives a repair and clean install choice. Choose repair to avoid having your disc reformatted and loosing everything.

Ask a Question