Xp sp2 Installation crisis

DRS.Usenet

When I installed SP2 on my HP523n everything seemed to go swimmingly,
except when I rebooted it said that c:\windows\inf\biosinfo.inf was
missing or corrupt. I was able to get to d:\miniNT command prompt
using a boot CD (couldn't get to safe mode) and I found a version of
biosinfo.inf from 7/25/2001. From that command prompt, I copied the
biosinfo.inf file into c:\windows\inf, and the computer restarted (the
SP2 install seemed to finish without problems). The system booted fine
(I've only done the one boot after the SP2 install, but I suspect it
will continue to boot okay). Now I see versions of biosinfo.inf on my
computer ranging from 7/25/2001 to 8/4/2004 (this latest one is in
"C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386" and
"C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\ic".
Both of the containing folders have a modified date of today,
coninciding with the SP2 install.

I just wonder why this 8/4/2004 file wasn't put into c:\windows\inf in
the first place. Why did the SP2 install process leave me with an
unbootable machine when the file it needed was part of the download?

What is the biosinfo.inf file used for? Was there an HP-specific
version of the file before the SP2 upgrade? Should I search the
recovery partition for an HP-specific version of the biosinfo.inf file,
and use that one instead? What symptoms would I see if I was using a
biosinfo.inf file that was "wrong"?

--Dale--

--------Old post... another HP... I wonder if it's and HP issue-----

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
From: "Sweet and Sour" <[email protected]> - Find
messages by this author
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:41:03 -0800
Subject: Xp sp2 Installation crisis

I have just installed SP2 to an HP xe4100 laptop and it failed to
restart,
message,missing files \windows\inf\biosinfo.inf
I now find it is a known problem with a possible fix at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626
how can I find (4) the number of the sp2 download and the (5)
administrator
name
or alternatively how can I restart in SAFE MODE to go to last saved.
Any ideas please

-------- End of OLD POST -----