XP Professional Welcome Screen

Steve Marsden

The Welcome Screen on my XP professional system shows my 5 users OK but the
picture for each user is the same (Chess Piece) EVEN THOUGH the picture as
set via the Users facility in Control Panel is different for each user and
even though the picture on that start menu is correct for each user.

Adding a new user creates the same effect, i.e. whichever picture I choose
appears OK on the START menu but shows as a Chess Piece on the Welcome
Screen.

Anyone any ideas?

Feng Mao

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting!

It is really a strange problem... What I concern is when this issue firstly
appeared. If it occurred suddenly and recently, System Restore might be
helpful to cure this.

Using System Restore to Restore Windows XP

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators
group.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the "Welcome to System Restore" page, click "Restore my computer to
an earlier time" (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
4. On the "Select a Restore Point" page, click the most recent system
checkpoint in the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then
click Next. A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration
changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
5. On the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" page, click Next. System
Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts
the computer.
6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration
Complete page appears.
7. Click OK.

Troubleshooting
---------------

You may inadvertently restore Windows XP to a previous configuration that
you do not want. To undo the restoration:

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the "Welcome to System Restore" page, click "Undo my last
restoration", and then click Next. A System Restore message may appear that
lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
4. On the Confirm Restoration Undo page, click Next. System Restore
restores the original Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the
computer.
5. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Undo
Complete page appears.
6. Click OK.

For more information about system restore in Windows XP, please refer to
our KB article Q306084: HOW TO: Restore Windows XP to a Previous State
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306084).

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE