XP-Pro and service pack2

G

Can anyone help me with this? Because of many "glitches" in my OS I have had
to reboot, reload and reinstall too many times to even talk about. But the
one occasion that I had to go back and attempt to utilize my original Windows
XP -CD disk I got a message stating that since I have service pack 2
installed I could no longer use my XP -CD? First I would like an explanation
of this and secondly I would like to know what WORK-AROUNDS are available.
Thanks, Jim

T

Ted Zieglar

You can't repair a Service Pack 2 installation with a CD that doesn't
have SP 2. It's that simple.

The work-around is to use a slipstreamed Windows CD. Slipstreaming is a
process where you combine a Windows CD that doesn't have SP 2 with SP 2
to create a new Windows CD. The process is easily found by searching the
web. Be warned: You need a good deal of technical ability to create a
slipstreamed CD.

Otherwise, you have to a 'clean install', which means erasing your hard
drive and reinstalling everything from scratch.

Let's talk about something else. If you've had to "reload and reinstall
too many times to even talk about" then you're clearly doing something
wrong. You really ought to read a good book about XP, take a course or
somehow learn how to use your computer correctly. It will be time well
spent, and I'm talking from personal experience.

A

Alec S.

Ted Zieglar said:

Ken, is that you?

T

Ted Zieglar

No, it's me, and I am talking from experience. After screwing up my
Windows 95 installaion in every way known to man, as well as some ways
that were previously unknown, I decided to spend the time to learn how
to do things right. I have never regretted that decision and I now enjoy
trouble-free computing.

G

Ted Zieglar said:

slipstreamed CD.

---
Ted Zieglar
"Backup is a computer user's best friend."

Dear Ted, Thanks for your help. I hope that you will read (this) my reply. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person and I have been using a "home" computer for 13 years. I guess you would not consider 'IDIOTS GUIDE TO XP"
a sophisticated manual it is just a rough guideline and admittedly it leaves
a lot of detail to be desired but all the same i found it to be helpful. I
attribute a lot of my "glitches" to the facts that my computer is obsolete [8
years old] with only a 400mghz processor, 256meg of ram and only a 30 gig
hard drive!I guess I hoped to become a closet nerd because I have so much
"stuff" loaded in that everyone says that I have too much JUNK on the thing!I
would get myself a new computer with all of the bells and whistles but the
purchasing department (wife) won't let me!!Would like to hear from you
again.Jim

T

Ted Zieglar

Neither old hardware nor having too much software installed are reasons
to have to "reload and reinstall too many times to even talk about".

---
Ted Zieglar
Ted Zieglar said:

slipstreamed CD.

---
Ted Zieglar

Dear Ted, Thanks for your help. I hope that you will read (this) my reply. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person and I have been using a "home" computer for 13 years. I guess you would not consider 'IDIOTS GUIDE TO XP"
again.Jim

A

Alec S.

Ted Zieglar said:
No, it's me, and I am talking from experience. After screwing up my
Windows 95 installaion in every way known to man, as well as some ways
that were previously unknown, I decided to spend the time to learn how
to do things right. I have never regretted that decision and I now enjoy
trouble-free computing.

Well as you said, that's you. It's pretty arrogant to make assumptions like that and to condescend. How do you know that James
isn't having problems with bad drivers from a flaky company, a poorly written program that he needs, bad hardware that he can't
afford to replace, or some other problem that is not his fault. To all but tell him that he's incompetent and needs to take a class
on using a computer is belittling, especially when you don't have all the facts.

Don't turn into another Ken (at least you gave some useful advice with your put down).

A

Alec S.

Ted Zieglar said:

JamesP4056 wrote:
Dear Ted, Thanks for your help. I hope that you will read (this) my reply. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person
and I have been using a "home" computer for 13 years. I guess you would not consider 'IDIOTS GUIDE TO XP"
again.Jim

Aha, just as I thought. ;)

Yes, they are.

Old hardware is not very well supported by XP-in fact I don't believe his CPU even meets the minimum requirements. Thus, it will be
a source of great problem. Like I said, not everyone is rich, so some people have to make do with what they have even if it means
dealing with problems. A good support tech will try to help these people instead of writing them off and simply telling them to get
new hardware, or do you only help the rich?

Having too much software is guaranteed to be problematic. System stability is inversely proportional to the number of applications,
drivers, and other software installed. Software developers do not check with each other when they write software. There is a very
good chance that at some point, there will be a conflict between some programs. You install two firewalls or virus scanners and
tell me you don't have some problems. Furthermore, having a lot of programs (especially a mixed bag of old and new) will likely
also lead to problems with support files like DLLs. Also, not all programmers are good at what they do. There are a lot of
programs which are faulty, unstable, outright unreliable and can mess things up. Don't just say not to use those, because someone
has to use them to realize that there's a problem in the first place. Besides, sometimes you have to use a faulty program because
there are no alternatives. Worse still, most developers don't properly clean up after themselves when their apps are uninstalled,
thus leaving traces of files, registry entries, and so on. Reinstalling is the most effective way to clean that stuff up.

You may have your system set up the way you want with your suite of applications that you use all the time but some people like to
experiment. Some people try new apps, different apps, install betas, and so on. Some try the latest drivers, beta OSes,
experimental apps. Doing that will eventually lead to a mess and require reinstallation. You can't tell people not to do anything
dangerous to avoid it. If they want to perform actions that can lead to problems, it's their choice. If they want or like to
reinstall, it's their choice.

There comes a point when doing a fresh install is just easier and safer than repairing problems. In University I used to reinstall
Windows 95 often, sometimes because it was getting bogged down and I wanted a fresh system, sometimes because I was bored and had
nothing better to do at the moment. There's nothing wrong with reinstalling (as long as you've got your data backed up, or even
better, located elsewhere), it's not only cleansing, but cathartic (there IS an emotional aspect to using computers and for a
programmer or help tech to ignore it is foolish).

Your attitude is tantamount to, for example, telling someone who loves to eat hot peppers that if they have to go to the doctor
every week for their stomachaches, they are doing something wrong and should learn how to eat properly. That's just silly. They
are entitled to do something that causes them trouble for themselves, especially if they know it. You don't like it, don't do it,
but don't tell them not to if it hurts only themselves. You're not their mother.

Ted, note that when I say "you", I don't mean you in particular, but everyone like you. People who treat anyone who says that they
reinstall like idiots who don't know how to use a computer (yes, I'm talking to you Ken.) If someone is capable of reinstalling
Windows, they are definitely NOT a novice! Don't treat them like one, don't condescend.

T

Ted Zieglar

I never said he was incompetent. Whose making assumptions? You need to
re-examine your attitude if you expect to stay out of people's killfiles.

A

Alec S.

Ted Zieglar said:
I never said he was incompetent.

Ted Zieglar said:
you're clearly doing something wrong.
You really ought to read a good book about XP,
take a course or somehow learn how to use
your computer correctly.

Ted Zieglar said:
You need to re-examine your attitude if you
expect to stay out of people's killfiles.

I really don't care if I'm in your killfile. The people
I care about are the people who need help, and the general
consensus is that I'm doing a good job; that's good enough
for me because the only reason I'm here is to help them.
Besides, even if you can't see my replies to your posts,
everyone else can.

G

Alec S. said:
Ted Zieglar said:

JamesP4056 wrote:
again.Jim

Aha, just as I thought. ;)

Yes, they are.

Old hardware is not very well supported by XP-in fact I don't believe his CPU even meets the minimum requirements. Thus, it will be
a source of great problem. Like I said, not everyone is rich, so some people have to make do with what they have even if it means
dealing with problems. A good support tech will try to help these people instead of writing them off and simply telling them to get
new hardware, or do you only help the rich?

Having too much software is guaranteed to be problematic. System stability is inversely proportional to the number of applications,
drivers, and other software installed. Software developers do not check with each other when they write software. There is a very
good chance that at some point, there will be a conflict between some programs. You install two firewalls or virus scanners and
tell me you don't have some problems. Furthermore, having a lot of programs (especially a mixed bag of old and new) will likely
also lead to problems with support files like DLLs. Also, not all programmers are good at what they do. There are a lot of
programs which are faulty, unstable, outright unreliable and can mess things up. Don't just say not to use those, because someone
has to use them to realize that there's a problem in the first place. Besides, sometimes you have to use a faulty program because
there are no alternatives. Worse still, most developers don't properly clean up after themselves when their apps are uninstalled,
thus leaving traces of files, registry entries, and so on. Reinstalling is the most effective way to clean that stuff up.

You may have your system set up the way you want with your suite of applications that you use all the time but some people like to
experiment. Some people try new apps, different apps, install betas, and so on. Some try the latest drivers, beta OSes,
experimental apps. Doing that will eventually lead to a mess and require reinstallation. You can't tell people not to do anything
dangerous to avoid it. If they want to perform actions that can lead to problems, it's their choice. If they want or like to
reinstall, it's their choice.

There comes a point when doing a fresh install is just easier and safer than repairing problems. In University I used to reinstall
Windows 95 often, sometimes because it was getting bogged down and I wanted a fresh system, sometimes because I was bored and had
nothing better to do at the moment. There's nothing wrong with reinstalling (as long as you've got your data backed up, or even
better, located elsewhere), it's not only cleansing, but cathartic (there IS an emotional aspect to using computers and for a
programmer or help tech to ignore it is foolish).

Your attitude is tantamount to, for example, telling someone who loves to eat hot peppers that if they have to go to the doctor
every week for their stomachaches, they are doing something wrong and should learn how to eat properly. That's just silly. They
are entitled to do something that causes them trouble for themselves, especially if they know it. You don't like it, don't do it,
but don't tell them not to if it hurts only themselves. You're not their mother.

Ted, note that when I say "you", I don't mean you in particular, but everyone like you. People who treat anyone who says that they
reinstall like idiots who don't know how to use a computer (yes, I'm talking to you Ken.) If someone is capable of reinstalling
Windows, they are definitely NOT a novice! Don't treat them like one, don't condescend.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

Thanks Alec, You put into words exactly what I had a clue to but was not good at enumerating. It is particularlly pertinet about individual programmers and their programs. Other than possible costs involved I wonder why there is not some kind of a clearing house (possibley run by say Microsoft) whom could establish a database of conflicts between new programs as they come out so as to assure more compatabillity among systems and new programs. I guess that is asking for too much but thanks again!Jim

A

Alec S.

about individual programmers and their programs. Other than possible costs involved I wonder why there is not some kind of a
clearing house (possibley run by say Microsoft) whom could establish a database of conflicts between new programs as they come out
so as to assure more compatabillity among systems and new programs. I guess that is asking for too much but thanks again!Jim

Well there are databases like that, but it's just not possible to support all the programs written by everyone, especially now that
any Joe off the street can write a program with all the "visual" programming tools and 5GL developer apps. It's like with drivers;
the WHQL tests drivers, but only the ones that are submitted to them by companies that can afford to do so, everyone else has to
settle for users seeing that "unsigned driver!" warning. So yes, I guess it is too much to ask. :-( But, the same way that
mainstream company's drivers are tested, so too are (the larger) software from the bigger companies.

It's really just a crap-shoot, and up to the individual to test to find what works best for them. (That's why I find it offensive
when some people try to force their own ways on others, thinking that it will work for everyone just because it works for them.)

Did you fix your problem? Slipstreaming is indeed an option, but it's not that hard. There are programs that can make it a
point-and-click affair such as AutoStreamer, nLite, and Slipstreamer XP. Here's some good tutorials in increasing order of
complexity:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=28005

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/ (This one's really good)

Ask a Question