XP installation and asms

G

After repairing my version of XP and restoring my data and settings, XP failed to boot up successfully. Instead it performed a continuous reboot. I have decided to reinstall XP but when doing so I get a message telling me that the file asms is needed from the Windows XP Pro SP1 CD in order to continue with the installation. The default path to this file is given as follows

globalroot\device\cdrom0\i38

When clicking OK XP does nothing. I've tried changing the default path but still nothing happens. There is no help or browse button either. I've also checked the installation CD and the above file is, in fact, a folder. Anyone have any ideas?

W

Will Denny

Hi

See if the following helps:

""The File 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM Is Needed" Error Message When You Install Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311755&Product=winxp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| After repairing my version of XP and restoring my data and settings, XP failed to boot up successfully. Instead it performed a continuous reboot. I have decided to reinstall XP but when doing so I get a message telling me that the file asms is needed from the Windows XP Pro SP1 CD in order to continue with the installation. The default path to this file is given as follows:
|
| globalroot\device\cdrom0\i386
|
| When clicking OK XP does nothing. I've tried changing the default path but still nothing happens. There is no help or browse button either. I've also checked the installation CD and the above file is, in fact, a folder. Anyone have any ideas?

Ask a Question