XP Code 32 Error Keyboard/Mouse *FIX*

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Tayra Douglas, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Error Message:

    A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate
    driver may be providing this functionality (Code 32).

    Microsoft's Suggestions:

    The start type for this driver is set to disabled in the registry.
    Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to
    reinstall or upgrade the driver.
    On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to
    start the troubleshooting wizard.

    If the driver is required, and if reinstalling or upgrading does not
    work, change the start type in the registry using the registry editor.
    For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft
    Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at http://www.microsoft.com/reskit.

    ---------------

    After doing this several times I finally stumbled across the solution:
    Click Start, then RUN, now type Regedit

    Now navigate to: HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/i8042prt
    and set "Start" to "1", this sets the i8042 (keyboard/mouce
    controller) device to autostart. Restart the machine.

    This worked for me, I hope it works for everyone else who is having
    problems!

    Tayra Douglas, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Tayra Douglas

    Nermal Guest

    (Tayra Douglas) wrote in message news:<>...
    > After doing this several times I finally stumbled across the solution:
    > Click Start, then RUN, now type Regedit
    >
    > Now navigate to: HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/i8042prt
    > and set "Start" to "1", this sets the i8042 (keyboard/mouce
    > controller) device to autostart. Restart the machine.
    >
    > This worked for me, I hope it works for everyone else who is having
    > problems!

    This solved the problem for me, thank you!! It was driving me nuts...

    Christoph

    Nermal, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Tayra Douglas

    decipha

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New Orleans, LA
    thanks a billion you saved my skins i knew it was something simple but i overlooked it in the registry your post directed me straight to it

    decipha, Jul 20, 2009
  4. Tayra Douglas

    giannis

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    thanks a lot do you know how to disable laptop keyboard through registry ?

    giannis, Apr 19, 2011
  5. Tayra Douglas

    decipha

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New Orleans, LA
    > Click Start, then RUN, now type Regedit
    >
    > Now navigate to: HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/i8042prt
    > and set "Start" to "0", this sets the i8042 (keyboard/mouce
    > controller) device to disabled. Restart the machine.

    don't know why you would want to do that but good luck with it, don't forget this forum and this thread specifically

    i still recall that day sitting in the office panting because i couldn't get the work laptop to work :eek:

    hard to believe that was almost 2 years ago

    decipha, Apr 19, 2011
  6. Tayra Douglas

    giannis

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks,i spoiled my laptops keyboard (spilled water) and i am trying to disable it.I managed it by setting wrong drivers since there is no disable option.When i rollback i encounter the code 32 error.I am trying to find a way to disable keyboard without disabling touch-pad.Is there a way? I am pretty convinced that the only way is to change keyboard.

    giannis, Apr 20, 2011