Windows XP XP & BBC iPlayer

Reaction score
I installed this yesterday to be able to watch tv progs missed over Christmas.
And the gremlins started to work once i had loaded it.
Anyone know if their are conflicts when using it?
Now deleted off pc & everything running OK.

I have seen the other posting on this, but was after any views re: conflicts running it.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i havent played with this just yet but i have tried the 4od service which had a fit saying i didnt have IE installed!? gave up on that but mught try it again, hopefully there's a new version out

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
For years the BBC have used Realmedia to allow one to 'view' their contents ... it was the only choice you had. I for one have point blank refused to install or use any Realmedia Realplayer products. Hell, every Windows PC came with a version of MS mediaplayer that, well, worked fine, one didn't "need" another 3rd party hack! ;)

Only recently have you been able to have a choice in what "player" you could use to view content on the BBC, MS mediaplayer now works.

The BBC iPlayer is identical to Channel 4's 4OD service, but with BBC programmes and without the charges. It comprises of a peer-to-peer file sharing service bolted onto Windows Media Player.
My bold, now you know ... better upgrade ones security. :D

I personally know one person who has been "helping" the Beeb with the implementation of some sort of software for this purpose ... against this persons recommendations the Beeb have gone for their other version, the iPlayer.

I am not privy to the alternatives offered, not really interested myself, but the person I know has "bitched" to me on several occasions on the Beeb's choice ... "it sucks!" :thumb:

... the BBC's committee structures had made a poor strategic decision.
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Actually, the main concern is not what suspect software was used, but the implication on the Internet ... ISPs are somewhat concerned on this aspect.

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2856766.ece

This may seem like new News, but the debate has been going around for several years now.
nod.gif

Bottom line ... expect errors.
laughingsmiley.gif

happywave.gif

Ask a Question